Chapter 11 : Out Of The Frying pan And Into The Fire

There's a long silence as the dwarves take a moment to think about what Bilbo has said. Just as things seem to be going back to normal we hear the foul roar of an Orc's voice yelling out. We all turn to see Orcs on Warg back running down the hill in our direction at full speed.

"Out of the frying pan..." Thorin starts.

"And into the Fire," Gandalf and I say at the same time. We share a small glance and smile before Gandalf yells "Run!"

We all begin to run down the mountain as the sun disappears over the horizon and the moonlight fills the earth. I leap over a rock and run as fast as I can, overtaking a few dwarves, but this time making sure that Bilbo is within my sight. At one point I run along behind Bombur and coach him on, yelling at him with threats and curses. Not that I'm doing it to be mean, I'm just looking out for the poor guy!

"Up into the trees, all of you! Come on, climb!" I hear Gandalf's voice yell from behind me. I'm about to question Gandalf's order, but I'm cut short as I notice the cliff face quickly approaching, meaning we have nowhere else to go, the trees are our best option.

I use my elf swiftness and jump into a tree, gliding into the branches like they're nothing. I begin to climb like a squirrel up to the very top, swiftly flying through the spiky leaves of the tree. I watch as Bofur jumps off a rock and grabs a tree branch, using Dwalin's head as a stepping stone to the tree. I have to hold in my laughter as Dwalin curses and tries to climb the tree, still having some difficultly. I swiftly jump back down a few branches to help Dwalin into the branches of the tree.

"They're coming!" Thorin yells as Dwalin and I help him into the tree. All the dwarves climb up different trees. I climb back up to the top as Dwalin helps Balin up. Noticing Bilbo begin to climb up as a tree, I feel a little bit better knowing he's safe with whoever is up that tree.

Dozens of Wargs circle the trees. The Wargs growl and turn around in confusion as they smell out our scents. I cling onto the tree silently praying that the wargs and Orcs don't look up. We may be safe up here for now, but that could quickly change. Taking in a deep breath, my jaw slightly hangs open at the sight of the pale skin ride up onto the rock. Sitting on his white warg, the pale orc himself looks out onto the forest of trees. Azog the Defiler...

"Azog?" Thorin whispers under his breath.

The White Warg growls sniffing the ground, Azog strokes its back with a smile "Nuzdigid? Nuzdi gast? (Do you smell it? The scent of fear?)" I feel chills run down my back as he speaks "Ganzilig-i unarug obod nauzdanish, Torin undag Train-ob (I remember your father reeked of it, Thorin son of Thrain)" Azog laughs.

I look over to Thorin who is perched next to me in the tree. I watch as grief and sadness wash over him, the realisation that his Father was captured building onto guilt that was already present "It cannot be" Thorin whispers, his head hanging low. I place my hand on his shoulder as he looks at the ground. I'm not entirely heartless...I understand his pain, I too have lost my Father to a foul creature. That along hurts enough to make me feel sorry for Thorin despite our differences.

Azog speaks to his Wargs and Riders "Kod, Toragid biriz (That one is mine)" Azog says pointing at Thorin, now knowing that we're in the trees "Worori-da! (Kill the others!)" He yells.

I snicker and reach for my bow and arrows, but as I'm about to load my first arrow the Wargs jump at the tree coursing it to shake and I drop the arrow. Quickly, I hold onto the tree with all my strength as the Wargs try with all their might to hit us out of the trees.

The tree in front of us, the furthest tree from the edge of the cliff is uprooting from the ground and begins leaning wildly. Bilbo, Fili, Kili, Bifur, Bombur and Ori yell out as the tree begins to fall. Thorin, Dwalin, Balin, Bofur, Gloin and I let out a few cries as the tree falls on our tree and Bilbo, Fili, Kili, Bifur, Bombur and Ori jump into our tree. I grab onto Fili's hand as he nearly falls, nearly taking me with him as I quickly help him into the tree. As soon as he's safe, I slip backwards as our tree begins to uproot and this time Fili helps me, catching my arm in his. We all jump into the next tree; the wind slighting being knocked out of me as I land on a branch.