Chapter 10 The Dead of Winter

Simon walked, and walked, and walked. He had no idea where his feet were taking him. He didn't care that there was 2 feet of snow on the ground, or that his shoes and calves were dripping wet. He just walked, not caring where he went or how he ended up there. All he could think about was Baz. Baz's lips hot on his, Baz crying in the dungeon, Baz just Baz. He hurt, Simon wasn't sure why, but he hurt. It felt as though a monster was tearing his heart apart. Simon couldn't wrap his head around why Baz kicked him out. It didn't make any sense. So he walked. For hours he chased his thoughts in circles around his head, stumbling about in the cold, not seeing, not feeling.

That was how the Mage found him, almost one day later.  "Simon my boy!" He called from across the vast court yard. Simon, curled up into a ball in the opposite corner, didn't hear him. He was too far under the weight of his own wrongs. When he didn't respond with his usual, "Where have you been! Sorry I meant; how are you Sir." , the Mage frowned deeply and quickened his stroll ever so slightly. He broke into a run as Simon's form came into view. "Simon, Simon Snow! I command you to answer me!" He exclaimed in a voice an octave higher than his usual relaxed tone. Still, the lump on the ground refused to respond.

Huffing and puffing, the Mage reached Simon, dropping to his knees, he reached out a hand to shake the sleeping boy awake. Even in his sleep, Simon was shivering like a wet dog shaking water off of its coat. Giving Simon a once over, the Mage saw that his pant legs were frozen to his calves, his lips were blue edging on a deep purple, and his eyes were wide open, looking rather like glass marbles. Faster than the speed of light, the Mage had stood up and called for his guards. Six young, burly mages came running  at the sound of their master's frantic voice.

Invincible  Simon Snow was carried away in the arms of a man only a year older than him, having to accept the inevitable, help from a stranger.

Meanwhile, Baz was back to being Baz. Just a Baz with a heavy heart and a mind amped up what felt like more than a few times from the outrageousness of the situation. He was scheming. His mind was working just as hard as a climber on Mount Everest. It was a true feat. After Simon had left, Baz couldn't help but given in to the damage the explosion of his- no, their universe. There he was left in his own lonely orbit. His crumpled form took up the remaining space on the floor that wasn't covered by something of Simon's. He didn't dare lift his head, knowing if he did, he would just watch the whole destruction all over again. Simon was everywhere, there was no escaping his presence.

Written in February 2016