Chapter IV: Promises

"Yes, he was trying to get close to you, but I am fairly certain that he did find some interest in you while at it. I’ve never seen him so determined to defy his father" Mercury answers me, stretching his legs out and getting up. He smiles at me in reassurance, somehow catching on to my snag of hesitance. "I want to be here. Like I said, being with you is my best option right now. Humans are always more amusing than tussling Gods."

Shaking my head, I grin. I’ll take that as a compliment. I gesture for him to lead me to the baths. "Alright then, lead the way. I’d like to keep this dress, though." I brush my hand across the soft brown fabric on my stomach.

Mercury's eyes follow my hand down my stomach before slowly sliding up to meet my gaze. "I would think so, it looks good on you. I'll clean it for you while you take a bath. Wait here a moment." He disappears, or I guess the correct term would be runs, and all I see is the rustle of white fabric before he's gone.

I blush and nod, breath catching at his speed. "Thanks.”

He appears back in front of me a few moments later, holding a hand open, palm up. For a moment I think he wants me to take his hand, but then I notice the metal band he's holding. One of those old metal bracelets that they used to wear, except this one is thick and wide, wide enough to cover my whole wrist. Seeing my confused look, Mercury cuts in to explain. "Since you are only half god, and this place is big, this bracelet will allow you to go anywhere. Just put it on and think of a place or person, and you'll appear to that person or at that place. I figured you might like to have it so that you’re not always relying on us."

            Picking it up hesitantly, I can't help the wide smile that takes over my face as I slip it on my wrist. It tightens to fit around my wrist snugly. Looking up at Mercury, I try to cover my smile but end up grinning lopsidedly. "Thank you. I love it. How did you know I hate relying on people?"

            He grins back and chuckles, ruffling my hair. "I took a guess. I would have hated to be in your position, and hated even more to have to rely on the people that pulled me out of whatever life I had before. Thought you might be like that to. You should try it. Think 'bath room'. I'll meet you there." He disappears as soon as the words leave his lips, leaving me alone in my room once more.

            "Alright." I whisper softly, sighing. Closing my eyes, I focus on the bath room. Something warm gathers around me, and opening my eyes, I am met with the sight of pearly waters with foam covering the surface of it. A giant pool, silver and cream, holds the waters in the enormous room. The high ceilings hold all of the fog that comes from the waters, all the heat turned vapor. I smile, muscles already relaxing.

            "Good job. Got it on your first try." Mercury's voice comes from behind me. I spin around to face him, and he grins while twirling his fingers and closing his eyes. "Drop the dress, Dana."

            I blush hard, feeling the heat rush up my body as I slip the straps off and let it fall to my feet. I step over the pool of fabric and into the warm waters, unable to stop my groan. I step further until the waters brush my neck. I turn back to Mercury and smile, seeing him with his eyes still closed. "You can open your eyes now."

            He opens his eyes and leans down to pick up my dress. Nodding in my direction and without looking at me, he holds it up. "There are oils to wash yourself on the left platform, and a raised platform in the center to stand on while you wash. Call my name when you are done."

            "Thanks" I answer, but he's already gone. Gosh, that boy moves fast. Shaking my head, I swim to the side of the pool to the oils he was talking about. Three oils sit in a row, one clear, one brown, and the other green. Taking the green one as shampoo, I drip a few drops into my hand and start working it through my hair.