Chapter XI: Home

All of the gods are back, with the exception of Poseidon and Apollo. The two I want to see the most. With my luck, it will take them all night to return, if they do. No, not if they do. They will. They have to.

The other gods lounge on couches that line the walls of the mediator room, talking with each other. I sit with my brother, though, apart from all of the gods because none of the gods or goddesses trust him and he’s not too at ease with them himself. Somehow I don't blame them, but I hate how my brother keeps his eyes ahead and pretends like he doesn't care, shifting uncomfortably and tapping his fingers against his thigh. I know he cares.

"Marcus, don't worry. They will just need to get used to you" I whisper, squeezing his free hand, which rests warm in mine. I wish there was something I could do. I wish Poseidon was here; he’d sit with us and show the other uneasy gods that my brother is not dangerous now that Cronus is gone.

He nods and looks down at me, giving me a tight lipped smile. "Someone else is back."  He scrambles off the couch quickly and goes to sit on an empty one, glancing back wistfully before shooting me a wink.

Glancing over my shoulder to see which of the two gods has returned, I don't have time to see who it is before I am tackled back onto the couch. My back thumps against the cushions and the boy on top of me laughs joyously. "Dana! I knew you could do it!"

I blink and look up into his blue eyes before grinning brightly and pulling him down all the way, wrapping my arms around his waist and hugging him tightly as the confusion drains out of me. "Poseidon!"

Amused laughter comes from the gods in the room, but Poseidon ignores them and smiles down at me, pulling up and scooting off of me to sit on a square of the couch that I am not laying on. "I heard you did some resurrecting in your spare time, and I came to tell you that you are doing an excellent job."

I grin and laugh, pushing myself up on my elbows and dropping my feet in his lap. "Yes. I am becoming an average day Titan thanks to your sister Hera. She's giving me all the instructions on how to do things here. With you, Hera, and Mercury teaching me, I will be perfect in no time."

Mercury smiles from across the room, along with Hera, both proud and willing to teach me anytime I ask. I expect they will both be fed up with me in a century or two, though.

Poseidon's grin spreads further across his face and he nods. "Yes, well, we are always here for you, but I brought someone with me that will be able to teach you things that nobody else can."

I raise my eyebrows and stare at him confused, wondering what he means. A nymph?

He grins secretively and motions for me to follow him as he gets up, holding out a hand for me. "I'll show you."

I shake my head, glancing at my brother. He nods once, and with that I jump up and take Poseidon's hand, letting him lead me out of the room. "Who is it? Because I am still waiting for a god."

Poseidon shakes his head, seeming amused as he turns left, and I recognize the direction heading to the garden. "You'll live without being in that room, I promise. Just trust me on this one."

"I trust you" I say softly, squeezing his hand. "I have faith in you."

He laughs as I repeat his words, and pushes open the door to the gardens, letting in the smell of wet nature even though it's not raining anymore. "Go past the pond. There is a bench in the forested area of the garden. Don't worry, I'll make the other gods play nice with your Marcus." He grins like he made a funny and leans down to kiss me cheek. "Behave."

I smile up at him, feeling my cheeks heat up and flush softly. Before he can leave I wrap my arms around him once more, hugging him tightly before stepping back, blush deepening. "I am so glad your back, Poseidon, even if Apollo isn't."