Things Change

Hello everyone! This is a something I've been working for a while. I've posted it on another Fanfic site and it has gotten good reviews, so I thought I'd share it here too. Hope you all enjoy!

I have now been adopted for a few weeks. There isn't anything different about it, just that it is still sort of awkward between me and Brandon. I'm over it and he tells me over and over again that he's over it too, and I believe him, but I am still a bit suspicious.

I try hard not to think about what happened, but it is hard. It is the safest I have felt with anyone since Liam. He always made me feel safe before, but this time it was different. I couldn't go all the way with Wyatt, but with Brandon it just felt natural. He was so gentle and caring and made sure that I was okay. He was the perfect gentleman.

"Earth to Callie," Mariana says, waving her hand in front of my face, snapping me back into reality. "Daydreaming much?"

I chuckle. "Sort of. Anyway, what were you guys talking about?"

"I asked how it feels to be adopted," AJ explains.

We have been spending nearly every day together in school, so he, Mariana, and I have grown pretty close.

"It feels pretty much the same. Although, it is nice knowing that I won't be ripped away from the house."

They laugh. "That is the worst feeling," he answers.

"What's the worst feeling?" Brandon asks, coming up behind me.

"Nothing. Sit down," I say, patting the space next to me.

He takes his backpack off and sits down.

"So, how does it feel being a winning composer?" AJ asks him.

Brandon looks guilty for a quick second, but then responds, "It feels good. I beat Tony, the guy who I thought was my friend."

"He was the guy you trusted?" I ask, remembering Brandon had said something about it.

"Yeah, and he totally stole my idea, so I had to do something else. I told him I'd get back at him, and look what happened," he pauses for more effect. "I won."

I smile. "I'm proud of you," I say.

He looks at me, but quickly looks away. Feels like he can't look at me after I was adopted. But, if I'm being completely honest, I can't quite look at him either.

"Although, I still can't believe I won."

"You were amazing Brandon," Mariana says.

"Yeah dude. It was dope," AJ tells him.

I wait a second and then say, "Brandon, you totally deserved it. The composition was beautiful."

"It was hard to write. And I guess I couldn't have written it a few years ago."

I blush, I think. It was flattering when he told me I helped him.

"What was it inspired by?" Mariana asks.

"Nothing," he says, looking at me for a quick second.

"Well, it was a beautiful piece Brandon and you deserved to win," I say.

"Thank you."

Mariana and AJ start talking about something else, so Brandon whispers in my ear, "You were my inspiration."

I blush, this time I know I do. I nudge him a little bit. "I seem to be your muse, don't I?" I say jokingly.

"Looks like it, huh?" he replies with a smile.