Chapter Six

I've figured out that the best things in life include being with the people that make you laugh, cry, and feel the most. My friends are the best at doing just that.

Wells, Riley, Callie, April and I all made plans for a long overdue lunch date a few weekends before homecoming to catch up and meet new people. Wells, April, and I had all hung out before since we had been friends for awhile now. Turns out that April and Riley had the same art class so they were already friends. And little did I know, Riley is a former student at the middle school Callie was finishing up at this year.

"Oh Callie, I love your hair!" Riley exclaimed as she piled in the back seat. I turned and gave my newly brunette bobbed sister a wink before putting the car in drive.

"Thanks, I needed a change. How have you been?" She asked to Riley.

"Good, it so exciting that I know your sister finally!"

"Small world." I laughed.

I drove us all to the mall, parking in a spot next to the Star Cross tree. I opened my door and my eyes followed the branches to a spot just above a bird nest, where C and W were carved inside a balloon shape Wells had sculpted a few years back.

"That's us." A voice said into my ear, causing me to jump.

I turned and smacked Wells.

"Don't scare me like that!" I exclaimed.

"Sorry, it was too good to resist." He laughed. His eyes crinkled up when he smiled, lighting up at my annoyance.

I turned back to the balloon carving and smiled, "just two best friends having the time of their lives." I remembered the day we came here with our babysitter. We had caused her so much trouble when we ran off. We got lost and didn't know what to do, so we went and sat outside, hoping she would come out something soon.

"Where is she! We've been here for ages!"

"Well to be fair, we did run away from her."

"She was talking with that boy like mom talks to dad, she didn't even pay attention when you said you wanted something to eat! All she did was tie a balloon around your wrist." Wells pouted.

From my side I could hear laughing. I turned my attention to a couple huddling by a single willow tree planted into a hole in the sidewalk. The girl giggled as she turned to see if people were watching, guess she didn't see us. They boy tapped her shoulder before pointing at a spot on the tree. He kissed her cheek before running off. She shook her head, but quickly followed, the both of  them disappearing behind the corner.

I stood up and ran over to the tree, trying to find what the boy was drawing.

"What is it?" Wells asked, walking up behind me.

"Those people, what were they drawing?"

"You didn't see it?"

"I saw it, but I don't know what they were doing or where they were doing it."

"It's right there," Wells said, moving my shoulder so he could point at the spot above us, "K and H. I wonder what that means."

I jumped up in excitement, "I saw this in a movie! See the heart around the letters? That means they were in love!"