Chapter Four: First Base

Josh

God work was exhausting. From the minute I clocked in for my shift at 8:35AM the line at the counter had exceeded the legal limit and was now thirty people long right out the door. I mean un-freaking-believable. So many demanding customers want their order the instant they give to you and for what? They except me to snap my fingers and have it magically appear? Please. But I guess I shouldn't complain. I should just be lucky enough to have a job even if it is for minimum wage.

Three hours later, the crowd began to die down some as only a few patrons remained. I was in the middle of wiping down the tables when I heard the little bell above the door start to jingle. I looked up and in front of me was a picture frame with some funky artwork. Beyond that as I narrowed my eyes I could see Slade looking around until he found me and started staring a hole in my back. I quickly took off my apron so he wouldn't be able see my name tag. I am playing hard-to-get after all.

"Hey."

"Hi. You came at a good time. I was just about to take my break. Can I get you anything?"

He shook his head. "No thanks."

I handed the wash cloth over to my co-worker and went to sit at a booth in the back of the shop as Slade followed and sat across from me. Damn his eyes were hypnotic and vibrant too. All I had to do was look into them and I knew I was hooked. We sat together in a somewhat awkward silence situation before one of us actually said anything. It was kind of funny when you thought about it. We met twice last night and had our first kiss and it hasn't even been twenty-four hours yet.

"Did you get any sleep this morning at all after I left?" He asked.

I shrugged. "Yes and no. I think I went to bed around 4:30. What about you?"

"I couldn't. I was too wound-up from the coffee and I couldn't stop thinking about the kiss."

How could I not forget a kiss like that? It's the only thing that's been on my mind since this morning. Oddly enough though my lips tingled as I remembered the heat behind it, how in control he was as he held the back of my head and slipped his tongue into my mouth. I bit my lip as his eyes followed with a sly grin on his face. He knew what I was thinking.

"Listen, I was thinking—" He began.

"Yes?" I blurted out.

"I was thinking of asking you if you wanted to go out tonight."

"Would it be like a date?"

"It could be. If that's what you want."

"Well I have to admit that I'm really excited about it. So, yes, I will go out with you."

"Awesome. What time should I pick you up?"

"Is 7:30 too late?"

"Not at all. That'll just give me enough time to finish training and shower."

It wasn't hard to picture Slade naked under a hot shower as he lathered up his chiseled body with soap. Fuck me. The next few hours of my shift were certainly going to be the longest of my entire life. When my break came to an end, we both exited the booth before bumping into each other with a slight laugh on our way elsewhere. Ugh. He smelled so freaking good. Whether it was the soap or his cologne it took a certain amount of willpower not to launch myself at him.

He walked out the door as I watched from behind the counter. The tightness of his faded jeans showed his ass off quite nicely as I admired it from afar. Then I started to think about what else was buried underneath all that clothing. Of course from what I saw at the gym last night it wasn't hard to come up with a clear mental picture.