Chapter Fourteen: A History Repeated

Josh

After Slade had left to go to the gym. It suddenly occurred to me that I had just relived an awful memory. Which in turn felt more like a nightmare. As I returned to my bedroom and stared at the messy sheets that once housed the two of us together. I heard a chime coming from my phone on the nightstand. I didn't think too much of it seeing as how it could only be a random notification or in this case, a reminder. I stared to work on making the bed and fluffing up the pillows when I heard my phone start to chime again.

I paused for a moment while holding a pillow, Slade's pillow in my hand. The scent of him lofted its way into my nose as I took a sniff and felt myself relax. God, he smelled good. I could tell he was angry by the way he left and the short tone answers he gave like "I'll give you a call." But I couldn't stop myself once I started telling him the story of how I met Levi and the tragic way that it ended between us and how he left me heartbroken. As I placed the pillow up against the wall, I rolled across my bed like a bad action scene and almost hit the floor.

Then I grabbed my phone off the nightstand and pressed the Home button as the screen came to life. Two unread text messages, both from Levi. Shit. I guess he ears must've been burning all the way in Tennessee. I set my phone down and pushed it away like it was going to jump up and bite me the minute I answered him. I told Slade that I hadn't talked to Levi much and that was the truth. Though I did contemplate the option about blocking his number in the hopes that he wouldn't try to contact me again. Or that I could just get a new number myself and be done with it.

But then that left the dilemma of having to deal with my mother who would contact my sister and have her give my new number who in return would give it to Levi. I bit my tongue. I knew that I never shouldn't have gotten involved with a handsome cowboy much less the hired helper. I blamed my heart. But what did that mean for Slade? Slade was very much different, and a thousand times better than Levi, minus the dark past as a Dominant. Deep down Slade was caring and very protective. And I think that was one of the things that I liked most about from the beginning.

Bing! My phone chimed again. I decided to ignore it no matter the cost. So instead I put on my work clothes and grabbed my wallet before walking out the door with my keys in hand. Then down on the street I decided to walk and just let my mind wander. But even doing that was a bad idea. I just kept reliving all the old memories of what happened in Tennessee over and over again. It was like an endless video with no pause or stop button. Hell, if today's scientific medicine made a pill that would make me forget about it. I wouldn't hesitate in the slightest.

I would've gladly taken it. No questions asked. And then that would've only left Slade. I couldn't have asked for a better guy than him. I...I love him. Hearing the words inside my head just now forced me to stop at the intersection across the street from my work. I love him. The voice said again as I couldn't help but smile at the thought. Was this thing between us really turning into something that I could possibly see into the near future? I'd like to think so. And I'd like to think that Taylor would like Slade as well.

* * * *

Seven hours later I successfully clocked out on my first day as assistant manager. Sharon said that I was doing a great job. But I still felt a little nervous. Sure the position mean't a little bit extra money which would be nice, but it certainly came with a few more challenging obstacles. After work, I decided not to let my first day get the best of me and call Slade. As I reached into my backpocket, I realized that I didn't have my phone on me. That it was still at home laying near the edge of my bed.

And on my way out the door, I came to a decision. I could either walk home to grab my phone and call Slade or hail a taxi and go see him myself. What turned into a fifteen minute walk across town followed by a quick trip to the 7-Eleven for a large Coke slushie. I dashed across the busy street and held the door open for a cute male fighter as he winked at me and said "Thanks". Stepping inside I was met with the scent of raw manly sweat and heavy grunting. And out of all the men working out, none of them seemed to catch my interest.