Chapter One

"It's now or never Marinette," the ravenette's best friend Alya encouraged enthusiastically. Marinette shakes her head with her hands on the sides of her face. "Come on, I believe you can do it." Marinette lets out a sigh before she straightens her posture and turns to face the two friends talking a few meters away.

At the sight of the blonde boy, Marinette yelps and ducks behind the small brick wall once again. Alya sighs out of frustration as she places a hand to her forehead.

"Girl, this has got to stop. You've been crushing on Adrien for two years now!" Alya exclaims, arms flailing around to emphasise her words. Marinette lets out a small whimper before she slowly stands once again. She squeezes her eyes shut and Alya spins her around, giving her a gentle nudge. Marinette's feet stick to the ground and Alya ends up having to shove the petite girl in order for her to move.

Marinette stumbles forward, landing on the ground in a heap. She looks towards the two boys and they stare back at her. She scrambles up off the ground and sudden déjà vu hits her. This is exactly like the time she wanted to give her birthday gift to Adrien. She finds herself wondering if he actually got the package.

The sound of Adrien chuckling brings Marinette out of her daze and he speaks as he waves his hand in a small gesture, "Hi Mari."

The nickname. Oh, the nickname. It has Marinette melting. Although she's spent over a year being one of Adrien's friends, she still finds herself stammering and stuttering around him. She's gotten heaps better though, which is a plus.

"H-Hi Adrien!" She speaks a bit too enthusiastically. Nino lets out a snicker from beside Adrien. Nino had noticed Marinette's crush months ago, but he respects Marinette too much to tattle on her to Adrien. He believes it will be best for Marinette to confess herself, which he sees confessing is what she is trying to do at the moment.

"What's up?" Adrien asks with a smile that makes Marinette's brain malfunction. She gives a stupid smile before she takes a step towards the boys, surprising Nino and Alya at her action.

"I-I uh," she plays with her fingers, "I have to tell you something." She speaks quickly, although ADRIEN understands every word that leaves her mouth. He frowns at her. What could possibly be so urgent that she's this nervous about, Adrien asks himself.

"What is it? Is everything alright?" Adrien rushes out as he examines her for any possible injuries, his Chat instincts kicking in.

"Oh, n-no. I'm fine. I just really need to tell you something I've been trying to get out for a while now," Marinette speaks quietly and Nino takes this opportunity to pat Adrien on the shoulder and set off towards Alya. The duo watch in anticipation at the scene playing out.

"Marinette is finally confessing," they whisper to each other. They watch as Marinette plays with her fingers nervously, how Adrien so easily looks concerned, the way Marinette's cheeks glow a cherry red colour.

"I-I," Marinette stammers. She swallows her pride and looks up at Adrien with determination. Marinette clutches her hands to her chest as she pours her heart into her words. "I'm in love with you, Adrien!"

Alya lets out a squeal as she violently shakes Nino, his glasses falling along with his hat. Nino grabs ahold of Alya's hands to calm her down and he wraps an arm around her shoulder to keep her from bouncing off the walls.

Adrien stares back at Marinette for the longest time, shock emanating from him. He observes Marinette as she holds her breath, her lips quivering with the fear of rejection. Adrien dreads his next actions, hanging his head as his hair falls into his eyes.

"I'm sorry, Marinette." He speaks softly and Marinette feels her heart crack. "But I have feelings for someone else." She never releases the breath caught in her throat. She's scared that if she lets her breath go, she'll shut down and completely break.