CHAPTER 8 - Dilemma

Everything muted around me, and all I could hear was the insane pounding of my heart. Just as our lips were about to make contact, we heard a loud whistle, shrill itself into command. Startled, more from what almost happened than the whistle; he scrambled away from me, and stood to his feet. It took me a while, but I finally did the same, wobbling as I tried to get up. I couldn't look up just yet, so I made a show of trying to adjust myself, painfully conscious of Nathan beside me. My heart couldn't stop racing.

"Wow! Dogs of Crest Wood High. You respond well to whistles." my head snapped up at the sarcastic tone of the green house's houseparent. He was also in charge of all the houses, and the general welfare of its occupants. He was tough and mean. This was going to be bad.

"Are you all out of your mind? “He shouted. His booming voice reverberating , spiking dread and deathly silence throughout the room.

He continued. "Where do you all think you are?” he paused and looked around, anger in his gaze.

“Who started this fight?" he asked.  

No one answered him, everyone just looked away. He smiled sardonically.

 "Just as I expected. It's a good thing to see you are all united in vandalism. I'm appalled by your behaviour, and you're seniors.  One would expect you'd all have developed enough sense to act like human beings, even without supervision. Everyone rolled their eyes and the murmuring heightened to a loud buzz. The noise instantly died down the moment he returned his hostile gaze around the room. Three other house parents scorned behind him. A male, and two females.

"Thank God it's Friday.” He said with a sad smile, looking around. "This hall could use an overnight scrubbing."

Gasps erupted throughout the room. Someone muttered in disbelief behind me. "He wouldn't".

"The halls have been locked.” He continued. “So don't even dream of going back anytime soon. You can make use of the taps behind the dining hall. The Stewards will provide you with buckets and other cleaning materials. Scrub this place till you can eat from the floor.”

The murmuring turned into full blown hisses now, but he just ignored them.

“Everyone cleans the area in which they sat. From the tables, to the benches, to the plates and cutleries you used. If there are any stains on the wall wipe em clean. If no one on your table is tall enough, get ladders. “

With a sardonic smile, he added. “You're welcome to break your necks in the process." Deafening muffled laughter was hard to miss after that statement. I frowned.

“There were at least six of you on each table.” He said. “I expect you’ll have enough sense to know how to divide the chores amongst yourselves."

He looked at his watch." I'll be back in two hours. If the work’s not complete by then, I'll give you an extra two hours. So if you all like, take it all as a joke. You'll end up staying here till morning. "

He turned to leave but then stopped and turned back to us. "One more thing. There's extra duty. So any table that doesn't meet my satisfaction, in anyway, will stay up and clean all the hallways in all the halls. Tonight. And trust me; there will be some tables that I don't like. And since you all are smeared like homeless people, I wouldn't want all your filth messing up the hallways as you return to your rooms now would I?

He gave a dry smile. "Have fun". Then he turned around and walked out, the other three filing out after him.

Everyone got to work after that, after the groans had subsided, of course.  No one wanted to remain here all night plus the whole hall stunk. Most people filed out of the hall towards the taps behind the kitchens, while others sat at their tables and delegated the chores.