Chapter Two: Captain Jack Sparrow

Eight years later...

I awoke with a start. Those black sails had haunted me through my sleep for so long, I had began to think that was all it was, a dream. My sister still had the pirate medallion, she hid it in her drawer under a fake bottom. She had told no-one but me about it. Three loud knocks on my bedroom door interrupted my thoughts, I flung my dressing gown over my nightgown as I heard my father say.

"Rosabelle, are you decent?"

"Yes," I replied brushing my dark locks into a loose bun. The door opened and my father and my two maids named Ethel and Sarah walked in. Sarah pulled back my curtains letting the morning sunshine slip through the window and dance around the bedroom.

"Good morning, Father." I greeted,

"Morning, Rosabelle." He said. "What a lovely day!"

"Yes, it is." I agreed, gazing out the window into the sky so blue that it matched the glistening ocean beneath it.

"A gift," he said, handing me a white box patterned with roses.

"Oh, father you didn't need to do this!" I exclaimed as I opened the box. A long white dress was neatly folded at the bottom, I took it from the box and held it up to myself, admiring it's beauty. The dress had silver ribbons lining the back and had magnificent designs stitched upon the front.

"It's beautiful, father!"

"I hoped you'd like it. Go on, try it on." Following my father's advice, I walked behind my dressing screen and let my maids dress me up.

"May I ask for the occasion?" I inquired as the maids slipped my nightgown over my head.

"Your sister asked me the very same question when I gave her, her dress." he said chuckling to himself.

"We know you well, father." I said, smiling slightly.

"Well, I was rather hoping you would wear it to Captain Norrington's Promotion Ceremony." I stayed quiet letting him continue.

"Commodore Norrington. He's a fine gentleman, Rosabelle. He fancies you, you know." Over the years I had caught the eye of many 'fine' men but none of them I took great interest to.

"Really," I said, not interested at all. My father caught my mood and quickly changed the subject.

"How's the dress coming along? It's the height of fashion in London."

"Interesting," I commented between gasps for air, as Ethel tightened my corset. I found I could hardly breathe. After dressing me, the maids redid my long hair into a high braided bun and decorated my ears and neck with jewelry. Once they were finished and my face was touched with makeup, I stepped out from my screen and showed the dress to my father.

"You look stunning, Rosabelle!"

"Thank you," I said politely,

"Come now, we mustn't be late for the Ceremony." I nodded and headed downstairs, following my father. On my way down, I bumped into my sister who was four years younger than me and just as pretty. We both had tan skin and dark brown eyes, the only difference between us really was that she had golden hair, while I had dark. She was wearing a similar dress to mine but it was golden and decorated with deeper gold ribbons instead.

"You look amazing, Belle!" she smiled.

"Thanks. You do too, Elizabeth." I replied before leaning in and whispering, "Can you breathe at all," Elizabeth half smiled half grimaced before whispering back to me.

"No." I held in a laugh as we walked down to the entrance hall.

"The blade is folded steel. That's gold filigree laid into the handle. If I may?" A voice said. As we turned the corner I saw William Turner flip a sword in the air and hand it to my father. Will had grown into a handsome man with shoulder-length dark brown hair and a faint mustache. Next to me, I heard Elizabeth's breathing speed up, and I doubted it was only because of her tight corset and the infuriating heat.