Chapter Ten: The Hanging

Ethel tightened my corset and Sarah slipped a soft pink dress over the top. Today was the day of Jack Sparrow's hanging, I'd wanted to wear black but my father wouldn't allow it. He couldn't just die. Yes, he was a pirate, but he was also a good man. I blinked back tears as Sarah brushed my lips with lipstick. Once they had finished dressing me, I walked into the entrance hall to meet my father and Elizabeth who looked stunning in a light gold dress, her hair pinned back, looking soft around her face. We didn't say anything just left the manor quietly and caught a carriage to the dreadful hanging.

Elizabeth and I took our places next to the Commodore and our father. Then the hanging began.

"Jack Sparrow, be it known that you have..." A man said, reading the proclamation.

"Captain, Captain Jack Sparrow." I saw Jack correct under his breath.

"... For your willful commission of crimes against the crown. Said crimes being numerous in quantity and sinister in nature, the most egregious of these to be cited herewith ― Piracy, smuggling..." The official droned. I couldn't bear this.

"This is so wrong." I murmured. Elizabeth glanced at me and gave a sorrowful look.

"Commodore Norrington is bound by the law. As are we all." My father explained.

"... Impersonating an officer of the Spanish Royal Navy, impersonating a cleric of the Church of England..." I gave a halfhearted smile. Good old Jack.

"... Sailing under false colours, arson, kidnapping, looting, poaching, brigandage, pilfering, depravity, depredation, and general lawlessness. And for these crimes you have been sentenced to be, on this day, hung by the neck until dead. May god have mercy on your soul." The official finished. I squeezed my eyes shut as the drums beat louder, I didn't want to see this, this couldn't happen! Then I saw Will walking up to us through the crowds, looking very handsome in neat clothes and a grey hat with a large feather attached to it.

"Governor Swann, Commodore, Rosabelle, Elizabeth." Will greeted before looking directly at my sister. "I should have told you every day from the moment I met you. I love you." I smiled as Elizabeth looked surprised, but I could tell by her face that she was beyond happy. Will then turned and made his way back through the crowd. He looked like he had some sort of plan. I hoped he did. I then noticed a parrot perched on top of one of the soldiers flags. It wasn't any parrot it was Mr. Cotton's! All of a sudden the drums stopped and the lever was pulled. But just in time Will threw his sword for Jack to stand on.

"I can't breathe." Elizabeth stated before she fell to the ground. My father and the Commodore kneeled next to her, seeing if she was alright. I didn't buy it though. I took off, running as fast as I could in high-heels after Will and Jack who were fighting the oncoming soldiers. I pulled up my skirt making it easier to run and darted past the unconscious men. Jack and Will had reached as far as the battlements before they were surrounded by soldiers pointing their bayonets at them. Commodore Norrington came up to them with my father and sister close behind him.

"I thought we might have to endure some manner of ill-conceived escape attempt but not from you." Norrington said.

"On our return to Port Royal, I granted you clemency. And this is how you thank me? By throwing in your lot with him? He's a pirate!" My father said, astounded.

"And a good man." Will stated as I smiled. "If all I have achieved here is that the hangman will earn two pairs of boots instead of one, so be it. At least my conscious will be clear."

"You forget your place, Turner." Norrington growled.

"It's right here... between you and Jack." Will answered. Elizabeth walked over to them and held Will's hand.

"As is mine." She told him. Is that my place too? I wondered Yes, it is. I don't belong with the Commodore, I belong with my true friends, Elizabeth, Will... and Jack.

"As is mine" I said and walked through the soldiers to where Will and Elizabeth were. I turned to Jack and smiled slightly, then I saw something quickly spark in Jack's dark eyes. It was something I had never seen before. And it made my heart speed up. I looked away, quickly to hide my flushed face.

"Elizabeth! Rosabelle! Lower your weapons!" My father cried. "For goodness sake put them down!" The weapons were slowly lowered. I glanced at my future husband who looked sad but didn't say anything. Jack then again interrupted the silence.

"Well! I'm actually feeling rather good about this. I think we've all arrived at a very special place, eh? Spirritually... Ecumentically... Grammatically." He breathed in my father's face, making him look away in revolt. Jack then turned Elizabeth, Will and I. "Elizabeth it would never have worked between us, darling. I'm sorry." My sister stared at him with a disgusted expression. "Belle, I hope our paths will cross again... Will, nice hat." He jumped onto the platform and announced.

"Friends! This is the day that you will always remember as the day that ―" Jack fell over the edge of the platform and into the sea below.

"Jack!" I cried, running over to the edge. He saluted me before swimming towards the Black Pearl.

"Idiot." Gillette said. "He has no-where to go but back to the noose. What's your plan of action? Sir?" Commodore Norrington looked speechless.

"Perhaps on the rare occasion pursuing the right course demands an act of Piracy, Piracy itself can be the right course?" My father asked.

"Mr. Turner." Norrington addressed. Will turned to Elizabeth.

"I will accept the consequences of my actions." He walked to Norrington he examined his sword.

"This is a beautiful sword. I would expect the man who made it to show the same care and devotion in every aspect of his life."

"Thank you." Will replied. Commodore began to walk away when Gillette called out.

"Commodore! What about Sparrow?"

"Well, I think we can afford to give him one day's head start." The soldiers left, leaving only Will, Elizabeth, my father and myself. I stood next to my father as Will and Elizabeth stood facing each other on the Platform.

"So, this is the path you've chosen, is it?" My father asked. "After all... he is a Blacksmith."

"No." Elizabeth said and took off Will's hat. "He's a pirate." My father beamed and walked off while My sister and Will kissed passionately. I smiled and strolled over to the edge of the Battlement. The Black Pearl slowly sailed away. My smile faltered. Jack had his freedom back and my sister was freely able to marry Will. But I wasn't free. I had to marry James Norrington. I had to give away the rest of my life to him. No, I wouldn't think about that now. I would enjoy my last days of freedom.

"Drink up me 'earties, yo ho." I hummed, staring into the horizon. "Yo ho, yo ho, a pirate's life for me!"