Chapter 2

Zainab was pissed that for some most likely useless reason she had to wait thirty minutes to be able to claim her luggage. Why did everything Nigerian have to be so...'inefficient?' she thought for the lack of a better word. Though as she walked out through the doors of the Abuja international airport and was welcomed by the cool evening atmosphere, she knew there was no where she'd rather be than this 'inefficient' place. It was home after all; which she had been away from for almost two years due to her hectic studies back in Egypt.

She pushed the thoughts of how much work she'd have when she returned after three months and decided to focus on here. She had missed a lot of things about this place, funnily; even the ridiculously expensive taxis. She felt tempted to board one to take her home but knew she couldn't ditch the driver sent from home to get her. She knew he must have been waiting for hours and quickly unzipped her bag to get her cell phone and call him. She was about to unlock the screen when the phone was snatched from her hold resulting in her looking up in outrage only to see a lady dressed in a blue gown and veil over her head; her signature red lipstick in place.

She grinned as she pulled Laila in for a hug

"How did you like my surprise?!" Laila laughed over her shoulder

"I loved it" Zainab grinned ear to ear as she stood back to inspect her best friend. Over time Zainab's hectic life had come in between their communication, but it had not come between their friendship; how could it? They have been together since kindergarten. And whenever Zainab came back home for whatever length of time; she spent half of her time with Laila. "I missed you so much"

"I know" Laila grinned throwing her arm over zainab's shoulder and pulling her towards the black jeep they had come to pick her in.

"I'm sorry, I can't come with you" Zainab apologized. "My mum had sent our driver to get me. I must have kept him waiting"

Laila's grin grew bigger. "You never change. Other people's feelings always come number one for you my own God sent mother Teresa" she teased "Don't worry. I told your mum I wanted to pick you up. She didn't send any driver"

Zainab nodded "Oh okay" and moved pulled her bag towards the waiting car

"Mukhtar and I came to pick you up"

As Laila mentioned him; Zainab's eyes travelled forward, watching him come around the car towards them and immediately he did, even before they greeted; he gently took away the bag Zainab was pulling relieving her of the weight.

"Thank you" she smiled at him and he smiled back. He hadn't changed much, she recognized. His height, build, everything was the same. Just that he was now keeping a low cut beard and moustache; which if possible made him look even more handsome she decided.

"How was your flight?" He asked

"It was good Alhamdulillah" she managed to say sounding calm despite her racing heart. Whenever Zainab had to go back; she would always drop in to Laila's house to say goodbye. She lied to herself that it was so she could bid Laila's parents and siblings as Laila would anyways accompany her to the airport; but she knew it was to see Mukhtar. They didn't communicate except whenever they were face to face so unlike for others; her goodbye with him was really goodbye. That is till whenever she gets to see him again.

Mukhtar went around to the back; putting Zainab's bag in while the two ladies got into the car; Laila behind the driver and Zainab behind the passenger seat where he would be occupying. After closing the trunk; he came around to get in when he noticed the end of Zainab's skirt sticking out. He helped her put in accidently brushing her toe and muttering a quick apology then gently locked the door after her. He got into the passenger seat; the lad unaware of the decades long, futilely buried feelings his gentlemanly actions had aroused.