Chapter 18

Tuesday

11 days to the wedding

"Laila!" Ya Halima's voice saved Laila from the unwanted conversation she was having with one of Mukhtar's paternal aunties. She was asking her details about her upcoming wedding; the house she was going to live in, details about Yusuf. It is very disturbing when old ladies try to get 'the gist'. It's not like you can tell them how you got lost in each other's eyes the second you met. If you refuse, you're brazen. If you do... you're shameless. So the uncomfortable task of finding a way to not divulge while still being polite is left to you. Laila, her parents and her two sisters had all come to Uncle Hassan's house early in the day. Her mother was no longer present; she had left for work.

"I'm coming!" Laila called back; never being so grateful to be called by her eldest sister. She shot them a polite smile and raced out of the room to go find her saviour.

She met her on the corridor leading to the kitchen holding a tray with a bowl of Oats "Baba is looking for you. He went towards the door"

"You know what he wants?" Laila asked and Ya Halima shook her head

"He didn't tell me so I don't" Ya Halima replied already moving away "I need to get this to Uncle Hassan. Before it gets cold"

Laila headed to meet her father having full knowledge what he wanted to discuss. Both her parents hadn't approached her for the whole of Sunday and Monday. It was Tuesday and apparently Tuesday was the time to face the music.

"You called for me?" she asked announcing her presence. He was standing in the foyer with the door wide behind him; the place lit by the morning sun, reading a text message when she found him. She had tried to avoid riding with either of her parents alone. Mukhtar was nowhere to be found that morning and she wasn't going to eagerly go ride with Yaseer. She needed to be in his presence as little as possible. She had been so relieved when her two sisters got into their mothers car so she hurriedly joined them, not wanting to be alone with her father. She had been so eager to hear this story on Saturday, but when she saw how her parents were losing their cool because of whatever the matter was; she had changed her mind. She didn't want to know anymore. She'd find out with the rest of her siblings. Share the heartache at the same time

He looked at her "The person I've been waiting for. Let's go outside" She said nothing and followed after him. They walked outside to his car "So how are you?" he asked "How are you coping with handling the preparations on your own? You know the rest of the family would love to help but with all this..." he said looking at the house; referring to Uncle Hassan's condition "Our attention is a bit diverted"

She forced a smile of understanding "I understand. Yaseer and Zee are all the help I need. Thanks" her eyes darted towards Yaseer who had just come into the house and was talking by the gate, giving her an idea "Baba I have to go. Yaseer and I have to meet some caterers. It's urgent" she lied to get out of the situation

Her father gave her a look "I know you already hired caterers Fatima"

She bit her lip, "Yeah, but I really have to go. Zee will be here any minute so we can leave"

"Your plans can be put off till evening. I asked Yaseer, none of them are time sensitive. I want you to come with me"

She looked in annoyance toward Yaseer. What was he now; her father's informant? Couldn't he have asked her before blubbering all her plans to her father?! Oh yeah... he's hell bent on not talking to her.

"Where?" she asked tearing her eyes off Yaseer who couldn't be more oblivious to her glaring

"You'll see" he said with a knowing smile. He unlocked his car and got in.