Chapter Nine

Time sleeps in slumber arms;

***Chapter Nine

   A soft glow from the fire place radiated warmly within the room as I sat before it pulling my wet socks off. I laid them out on the stones by the heat to dry.

I was drained and I could feel sleep pulling at me, it had been along day.

“Haven,” Merlyn said.

I turned to face him sitting cross legged with my back to the fire for warmth.

Tiredly I faced him, “what’s up?”

“Now is a good time to talk while we are alone.”

I glanced around, everyone had left, no one was there except us.

“Can’t guarantee I will stay awake,” flashing him a tired smile.

“Yes it has been a long day has it not?” Merlyn’s face was cast in the shadow’s appeared just as tired as mine.

“I’m so sorry for all of this,” I began, my body felt heavy.

“This is not your fault Haven. One thing I have learned over my life time is that

everything happens for a reason,” he graciously said.

“You sound like my aunt,” I whispered and he laughed.

“So tell me all powerful sorcerer what’s your insight on this?” I joked.

“For one,” and he laid his hand on his chest, “I get to know you.”

“I don’t know if that is a good thing,” I grunted.

“Trust me, I would not have pass this experience by. Life is to be lived, tasted and enjoyed.” Merlyn sat back in his seat.

“So magic man do you want to talk about it, because I’m about to fall asleep,” I yawned.

“Just to say you have nothing to fear from me or Arthur.” he stared into the fire.

“But, . . .” I whispered.

“The people are subjects of their environment, what they have been taught is going to take time to change. That is what Arthur is trying to do here in Camelot. In your case,

it would be a very big leap of faith on their part that these people do not have. William is struggling with this, he has been taught that what he saw is magic, not science,” he sat forward.

“What of Arthur? Does he feel the same way?” I was curious.

“No, he has had me. But he is different in so many ways,” he said mysteriously.

“How so?’ I pushed.

“It is not my place to speak of. You must ask Arthur yourself,” he said resolved.

Ok that was cryptic.

“How did you know about the Tockers?” I fought back the yawn.

“When I was younger, our world was visited by a man similar to yourself. He never said why he was here or where he came from. Only he worked day and night to build that structure. The people left him alone, feared him, I on the other hand being of the curious nature went to him. I helped him, and in return he taught me many things. And entrusted me with some of the knowledge of why the structure was here.”

He stood up and poked the fire to keep it going, he put in some more wood.

“Shortly after he left, the sisters came to this time. They have reeked havoc and fear to this land and it’s people.”

“Why did this Tocker want my dagger?” I asked.

“I think you will have to ask your aunt that when she wakes. I would like to know myself. Part of that knowledge,” he gave a slight smile.

“The question that burns most in my brain is how did she get to my century if she’s is supposed to be stuck here?”  I looked up at him.

“Yes this is a good question. Unless the structure is weakening some how,” he reasoned out loud.

“Then why need my dagger?” a yawn escaped, my brain was fried.

“We seem to be going around in circles and not filling them. I will leave for now.” He went to the door and turned to say,

“Sleep Haven we will talk another time,” Merlyn’s words seem far off.

I changed into the stupid dress, I had no other choice. It hugged me closely as I ran my hands down the soft velvet. It was warm, I had to admit. Throwing a couple of pillows on the floor with a heavy blanket I laid by the fire. I never remembered closing my eyes.