Chapter Three

‘Time to get out of Dodge!’

Chapter Three                       

I walked within the sea of students, the current was either one of two ways.

Fight against it and you went down, trampled into oblivion by hundreds of different

pair of shoes. Good thing I wasn’t claustrophobic, I’d be screwed.

I chose to follow the flow.

The energy level was like drinking an espresso, high and intoxicating. Topped off with shouting, lots of shouting because everyone was talking at once.

Add to that the slamming lockers with an occasional teachers voice, telling someone to get to class.

Was I mad when I thought I wanted this?

This part was a like a teenage marathon, getting to the next class before the bell rang.

All or nothing!

I lost Sunshine a couple of times but she always seem to show up. Like a dam lost penny.

We left one building to go into another, dashed down some stairs and enter a class room full of old art projects. Art. Yippie! Did I sound enthusiastic enough?

“This is Miss Green’s class and she is very good, I mean beyond good, one might say awesome.

Yeah that’s the word I was going for, . . .”

I tuned her out and walked to sit in front of an easel by the windows. My ears needed a break.

The spot I picked over looked the sports field, were gym class was just starting.

Next to me was a Goth. girl with dark eyeliner who sat brooding, she just kept starring at the blank paper, transfixed with it.

“Do you every wonder what it would be like to live inside the nothingness?” Her smoky voice snaked out at me.

When I didn’t answer right away, she turned and my jaw fell open. Upon her forehead was a strange symbol and her fierce golden eyes looked directly into mine. Her magnetic energy was hard to resist.

She moved her full red lips forming the words, “give me the dagger.”

She smiled wickedly, and all I could do was gape at her like a fool.

“And I will reward you.”

I blinked and the creepy girl was gone, replaced by the true human herself.

“Stare much!” the Goth girl spit out at me, with an irritated expression.

Wait what just happened? I shook my head and took a deep breath, now that was two weird things.

Maybe I should call Sabra, only before I could the teacher Miss Green was asking for my cell phone. Asking everyone that was.

I made it through the rest of the day with a nothing more happening, only this strange

vibe wouldn’t leave me alone.

Sunshine was annoying me so I ditched her at lunch and sat outside. I needed space.

I was about to call Sabra when a shadow fell over me, looking up a cute boy with red curly hair smiled down at me.

“Are you Haven?” he asked politely.

“Yes,” I replied frowning.

“The woman over there,” and he pointed over his shoulder, “asked me to give you this,” and he handed me a piece of folded paper.