Chapter Four

‘Time has a way of changing things’

Chapter Four                  

We traveled on hwy 99 for awhile in relative silence, both lost deep in our own thoughts.

“What happened today?” Sabra finally approached what I dreaded.

“It began in my first class. I time played a trick on a student. When I felt this weird ping, then my ears popped.”

I looked at her watching her reaction. The sign she was upset was her hands, they  flexed on the wheel, she never looked at me.

“Continue,” she somberly requested. Oh yeah she was pissed.

I told her about the incident in art and the note. She looked at me then and I’ll tell you if she could speed smack me, my face would be hurting,

“why didn’t you call me the moment it happened in history. I was still around, Haven.” Her dark eyes sharp and accusing.

“I did, but you didn’t pick up.” I told her lamely.

“Calling me after the second incident isn’t acceptable Haven. You could of killed a lot of people with your reckless disregard.” She was pissed. More pissed than I had seen her in a long time.

“Did this have to do with the bet?” she pressed.

“No,” I shifted in my seat.

“Your pride?” she somewhat nailed it. I didn’t answer her. She stared daggers at me, I could feel them.

‘Possibly,” I said the word very low and dragged it out.

“Ditch the pride Haven. We don’t have time for it. Too much is at risk here. Do you hear me!” she ground out.

“Yeah, I got it!” I bit back.

“Good. Remember that the next time your butt is about to be nailed to the wall. We have to stick together. Be smart, cautious, . . .” Sabra droned on about all the lessons I have known since forever.       

I starred out the window and felt irritated because she was right, but I pouted anyways.   I slept on and off during the night, Sabra could stay up for two days straight before crashing. With lots of energy drinks and something she concocted of her own. 

Then we stopped in Bakersfield to really sleep. So far no indication we were being followed.

We went to the local grocery store and bought what we needed to change our appearance. And coffee.

Here Sabra would change our photo i.d.’s and names. I fought her on this, I was tired of changing my name.

Inside the hotel room I collapsed on the bed and buried my face into the stale smelling

pillow. My body ached in everyplace it could, especially my ribs.

“I’m in the shower,” Sabra called out and took one of the bags inside with her to the bathroom. She was cooling down but she would need some more time. I screwed up big time.

I must have fallen into a deep sleep because I was dreaming of my parents. Wrapped with the safe feeling of complete peace. Their fuzzy images coming at me, smiling and the laughter they projected was invigorating.

“Haven,” a voice was calling my name from far away.

I fought it, I didn’t want to give up my nirvana bliss.

“Haven, kiddo wake up!” Sabra’s subtly called out to me.

I lost the connection and opened my eyes groggily to the low light.