Reaping Day

I wake up to Buttercup at my feet. "Hello pretty cat.", I whisper to him, I glance at Katniss' empty bed knowing she is hunting for sure. She always does on reaping day, she leaves me here worrying that she'll get reaped... But this year I am in that bowl too. One tiny slip of paper with my careful name etched on it, Primrose Everdeen. I sigh and stare at mother curled up next to me. It kills her inside, reaping day does, she so worried we'll get picked that she shuts herself off completely.

     I let my feet fall onto the cold, damp ground and repeat the odds in my head, one in one thousand, one in one thousand. I grasp the tin bucket in my small hands and look around the dirty kitchen, "We could be in the victors village if we get reaped." , I think to myself but dismiss the thought, "No. No ones getting reaped."

     I slowly start to milk Pansy the goat Katniss got me a few years before. "Prim!" , my mothers frail voice called out, "It's time to get dressed." I hang the bucket on a hook and grab the cheese from the corner. When I get in the house Katniss is already buttoning her blue dress, "Katniss you look beautiful.", I whispered, "Oh mother, I made cheese!"
My mother softly smiled and muttered something about having it for dinner after the reaping. If we have dinner after the reaping.

I get in my cream blouse and floral skirt then have my mom braid my hair into two neat french twists on my shoulders. I sigh heavily and walk out the door with Katniss holding my hand, "You won't get reaped.", she promised and I get her a fake smile and think about what's to come...

Effie Trinket jumps on stage bubbling about what and honor it is to be chosen, in her pink wig she giggled and began, "As always ladies first...", "one in one thousand", I repeat, "please!"... Well the odd are definitely not in my favor. The name rings out clear as day...

Primrose Everdeen