A delayed reunion

Just a warning this chapter is sad.
***********************************
The jostling of the horse woke me up from my slumber. I opened my eyes and looked around. The sun was shining brightly, birds were chirping and the sound of leaves being crushed came from underneath me. I then noticed that we were at a full on gallop.

Terragon slowed the horse down when he noticed I was awake. He looked down at me and smiled. "How do you feel?"

I shrugged with a smile. "I've been healthier." Just as I said that I had another attack. I wiped the blood from my chin on my sleeve. Terragon stopped the horse completely and hugged me from behind. He rested his forehead on my back and I felt his hair on my neck. My eyes widened and I could feel the heat rise in my cheeks. "T-Terragon,"

"I know you don't have that long to live. I've known for awhile, which is why I'm here right now so I can help you with anything. Just so I can spend time with you.." He choked on his words and I felt him grip my shirt tightly.

I sighed and smiled softly. "Goodness, I can see your dignity just flying away like its nothing." His head shot up and he looked at me. I smiled and placed my hands on his cheeks. "Save your sorrow for when I'm dead. No need to be sad when I'm living and breathing right here in front of you." I kissed his lips softly. "You can be sad when I'm gone. Promise me that okay?"

Terragon looked at me and smiled softly. He kissed me throughly and intwined his pinky finger with mine. He leaned his head against mine. "Promise."

I nodded. "Good. Now let's go see my parents. After all, it's been three long years and I can't wait anymore."

Terragon chuckled and pulled me against him. The horse started at a working walk and then into a gallop. "You know, this is going to be my first time meeting them. You'll think they'll like me?"

I smiled and looked up at him. "You love me, and that's one thing you have in common with them. I'd say yes they'll love you."

"If Zarius was with us he'd complain at how much of a married couple we are."

"Is that a proposal Prince Terragon?" I asked teasingly for the second time.

He smiled and looked down at me. "Only if you want it to be."

I blushed and avoided eye contact. "J-Just focus on where the horse is going."

I heard him chuckle and mutter. "Someday.."

~~~

A few long hours later, and we found ourselves in front of a nice looking cabin. Terragon helped me dismount. When I felt that I was stable enough, I walked towards the door. However, my wounds from the beatings from the guards weren't healed yet. I winced and landed on one knee.

"Damn those guys. Who's idea was it to make shoes that hurt so much anyway?" Terragon helped me up.

"I'll go to the door and talk to them then." I leaned against the horse and watched him. The door opened cautiously. Opal was standing there listening to Terragon. Her once bright red hair was now stained with grey. The wrinkles on her skin were more prominent. I didn't know that three years could change someone so much.

Once she noticed me, she gasped and her hands covered her mouth. Tears were starting to drip down her cheeks. I smiled and waved slightly.