6

It had been drizzling rain for hours. Streams coursed down the windowsill beside my desk where I overlooked one of the many courtyards on campus. The dorms were quiet as most of the students had already left for the term, so I decided to catch up on work. I was checking the traffic statistics on Clozpin when a new mail alert popped up on my screen from a name I didn't recognize. The subject link read, "TechLabs Conference Panelist." A thrill of excitement coursed through me. It was a request to fill in for a last minute cancellation at TechLabs, the biggest tech conference of the year.

"Alli..."
She grumbled something from under her blanket where she had been napping.
"Do you want to go to Vegas?"
"I thought you were hung over."
"I am, but I just got invited to speak at the TechLabs Conference this weekend."
Alli threw the cover off and sat up. "Are you serious?"
"Very. They had someone cancel on their social network CEO panel, and they want me to fill in."
"We should do it, no question. This could be an amazing marketing opportunity." She clapped her hands excitedly.

The trip would be expensive, but how could I pass up an opportunity to potentially launch us into the spotlight? What the hell. I couldn't justify going half way at this point.

"Let's do it," I said, immediately giddy at the thought. Sure, networking could be great, but the idea of going to Vegas was pretty exciting all by itself. If I stayed away from the casinos, we'd be fine.
"Awesome, we need to start packing now," Alli said.
"You're kidding me, right?"
"Ava Smith, you're the CEO of a fashion social network, representing your company in Las Vegas, the capital of glitz and glamour. We have serious work to do."

I rolled my eyes as Alli snapped into action, losing herself in our miniscule closet, throwing what looked to be every mini dress she owned onto the bed.
"I'm going for the CEO look, not the call girl look, okay, Alli?"
"You've never been to Vegas, sweetie. Trust me."

We spent the next few hours negotiating outfits while I booked flights and prepped material for the conference. In a little more than twenty-four hours, we would be in Vegas.