Shift 003

Five minutes pass midnight when Jack stopped by a twenty four hours open convenience store in a small town he's exploring. He got thirsty and there's no other open store around town.

"Ight, I hope they can speak English," he murmured before taking off his helmet and getting off his rented motorcycle.

Before heading inside, he noticed the security guard just outside the store playing some kind of mobile game. He scoffed thinking about the guard not doing his job.

Inside, it felt warm and cozy, just the kind to fall asleep on to. He saw no one at the counter so he went for the fridge, opened it and took two canned beer.

Reaching the counter, a lady magically appeared. He placed the cans on the counter and then the lady scanned the items.

Jack stared at the lady's face. Her eyes were surrounded with dark circles. Maybe she lack sleep, he thought.

"A hundred," she said.

Hearing her voice made Jack to come back to his senses. He immediately took out his wallet and gave a thousand. That lady won't even smile unlike most of the girl cashiers from neighboring towns.

"Don't you have a hundred? My shift just started and there were only few customers that came so far," she said without even making eye contact.

"I'm sorry but I got none," he replied.

Jack then heard her frustratingly sighed and disappeared out of view for a moment then came back. It was only them inside the store and the girl glared at him for a sec and then counted her coins.

Seeing so many coins, he scoffed once again. Is she going to make me have those coins? He asked inside his head.

"Here. Have a nice night," she said, and pushed two rows of stack up coins towards Jack.

Jack gaped slightly. "Unbelievable! Are you serious? Coins? Heavy asf!"

The lady then plastered a fake smile– more of an evil-sarcastic smile. "Well, you left me no choice."

Jack released a sharp breath and tossed his head to the side then looked straight at the lady. The look on her face, damn! She's serious, he thought. So, he sighed in defeat and took those damn coins. Now his, pockets felt so damn heavy!

He took his beer, and showed her a mocking-irritated smile.

"I hope you have a bad night," he said and walked out of that convenience store.