Shift 003 - End

Chapter 05

When the store was quiet, Felise decided to step out of the counter and check on Jack. He fell asleep on the table near the counter while drinking his beer.

She sighed seeing him like that. One by one she took the beer and threw it at a garbage just under the table. Then she sat beside him and took a close look at Jack's face. He seemed so tired from where he has been.

Felise couldn't help but tuck back a strand of hair that was blocking the view of his face. What a beautiful face, she thought.

Felise smiled and took out a paper from a cigarette box. She has been writing on those for a while now for she couldn't find anything to write on anymore. She slid the folded paper inside his jacket's pocket. Someone finally saw her and noticed her exhaustions, she's at peace now. It's time she says goodbye.

*****

Jack woke up and the sun was already shining bright. He groaned and rub his eyes, damn! He was still at the store. He looked at the counter and another cashier was there. Maybe Felise's shift ended already.

"Good morning, sir." The cashier greeted him.

"Yeah, morning. I'm sorry I fell asleep here, I was really tired," he told the cashier.

"That's okay sir," the girl said with a smile.

"I gotta go, thanks again." He said and head towards the door.

He hopped on his bike and when he reached for his keys inside his jacket's pocket he felt a paper. He frowned and took it out.

His heart skipped a beat after reading what was written there,

Hey! It's me Felise :) I'm sorry if I'm saying good bye to you like this but I'm grateful for the things you did and for setting me free. I met a real superhero but it was too late. I'm glad you noticed me and my pain. I love that Yakult and please stop drinking.

"Wait what?" Jack asked himself frowning. "What the hell does she mean?"

He left his bike and rushed inside the store again. He has to find her! He can't just lose someone he thinks he's inlove with.

"Hey again, uh... do you know where I could find the girl who was here last night?" Jack asked the cashier.

"Do you mean Leah?" the cashier asked and that's when Jack frowned.

"No, no. She's pretty and she usually works after midnight," he replied. He was so eager to know where she is so he could tell her how he feels and maybe he can take away her pain too.

The cashier didn't know who he was talking about so she showed a confused look on her face.

Jack sighed.

"Her name is Felise. Where can I find her?" Finally he mentioned her name. Why didn't he said that earlier.

Mentioning Felise shook the cashier. She froze hearing the name Jack just mentioned.

"Hello? Are you still here? Do you know her?" Jack continuously asked, snapping the cashier back to reality. He was getting impatient

"S-sir, she– she's long d–dead," the cashier stuttered.

Jack frowned and glared at the cashier in front of him. "That's absurd! She was here last night, we talked! She smiled at m—"

He stopped when he realized what she said last night.

You can see me...

"Fuck..." he whispered as he realizes things and then his heart slowly broke in two. Love is mysterious.