Depart : Love is Sad

Depart

Five days ago I saw this lady with a ticket in her hand, just standing at the edge of the ferry port. She was staring at nowhere and nobody else seemed to notice her but me. Everyone with tickets went inside the ferry to cross from one city to another but she was still standing there.

"What are you looking at?" The crew asked me.

"The port."

"Don't stare at nothing."

After the crew said that he left but then my eyes couldn't seem to gaze on something else. Even when the horn of the ferry blew, it didn't bother her. And so we sailed but my eyes were locked on her still.

From that day, I never saw her again. It was just like she was a ghost that I happened to luckily saw.

My days went on normally. I have forgotten my eyes' encounter with that lady when suddenly, 8:16 AM on a Friday, July 3, 2020, that lady appeared again. Just as before, with a ticket in her hand, she stared at nowhere. I realized that's why I haven't seen her, it was because of my schedule changes.

This time, I was so intrigued I wanted to go and talk to her. My foot moved forward but then the gate for the ferry opened and it was time for boarding. I withdraw and head to enter the ferry. As the time got closer for us to leave, I felt so uneasy that I didn't know I was already biting my lower lip while tapping the rail.

"All aboard!"

After hearing that, I didn't know that I could do something crazy as jumping from the slight gap and wasting a ticket for some lady who doesn't even know me. I heard people's sighs of relief when I made it.

"You're insane!" One crew yelled.

I chuckled and wave. "I'm alright!"

I turned to look at the lady and she was still there. Now was my time to approach her.

To be honest, I'm bad at talks, introductions, and all that concerns befriending someone but I ought to try. Before I stand beside her, I deeply sighed. I looked like a creep but still, I tried to be calm. Even I cleared my throat to get her attention but nothing came.

"Are you... waiting for someone?"

That's when she finally looked at me. My eyes were locked on hers and the first thing that I noticed was how dull her eyes were.

"I... no... I..."

Perhaps she was as nervous as me.

"It's okay. I'm sorry to suddenly approach you. I was just worried about you standing alone here."

The lady looked down. "I'm sorry, I made you worry. I swear I'm not attempting suicide." Her voice was soft and she herself was fragile.

I was taken aback when she mentioned suicide. "I never thought of it..."

It came a little awkward from that moment. I didn't know what to say and neither was she saying anything. We just stood there, watching as the sun rose higher than before. And when the ferry got back she suddenly spoke.

"Do you want to grab something to eat?"

"Yeah, sure."

Of course, I'd say yes. After all, I didn't have anything to do anymore so might as well get to know this mysterious girl.

I wasn't expecting it but we ended up at a cat coffee shop, where of course, cats are accompanying you while you drink and eat.

"You like this place?" I asked.