Part 1

Aika-

Storms can be the worst sometimes. The thunder keeps my sister up. The lighting messes with my night vision so I can't find my way to the bathroom. Sleeping is just made over all more difficult. Now I have something new to add to that growing list. I stand looking down on the twin oak tree that yesterday stood proud into the sky. This tree must of been so prideful when it called to the heavens during the last storm, "I can take whatever you throw at me, and still be the tallest tree in the yard." The heavens must have laughed when that tree created a new back door and sky light in my house. At least we're renting this house and have good insurance, so we don't have to pay much to have this old beauty renovated. I walked back inside through our backdoor and lay the on the smaller of our two couches. They were once green, but four young kids can create weird colors in the strangest of places. At least the roof isn't broken in the whole house, just my room. I kind of wish it did in this room. The popcorn ceiling, wood covered walls, and random carpet doesn't mix nice with the mid 20th century look of the rest of the house. The last time someone updated this place was the 1970s and it shows.

I roll onto my stomach. The only thing I hear is the humming of the various electronic devices. Switching to my side, I hear the my phone make that weird noise that someone thought should be the noise for when you got a text. "Mom: Sure, I think that's okay. Just call her parents before you arrive and start packing before we get back home."

YES! YES! YES! YES! I can't believe they agreed to this! There's no time to waste, a blur of me races into my parent's room. I start digging through the piles of stuff my parents want to hide until I find what I want. They won't miss just two suitcases and besides they didn't say anything about what I can't pack, right? Now to my room for the real work to begin. I have 13 minutes before my parents will be home. I just grab an armful of shirts, dropping them in the larger of the suitcases. Then do the same with all the other clothes. So yeah, I don't know exactly what I put in but I'll find out later, it doesn't matter. Now I hurry out of my room but really should watch where I'm going because, AAAAAAAWWWW! A sharp pain goes up my leg from my foot. I embraced the hard floor, as gravity won the battle, or in other words I fell down (Why does the floor have to be so hard?!?!). Examining my foot I found where there is the remains of a brightly multicolored lego car. Aw! Aw! Aw! CAREFULLY removing all the tiny pieces before I got up, I finally reached the bathroom. Come on, there's only 9 minutes 15 seconds left. I am out in 45 seconds and back in the hallway. Legos and other tiny toys dot the floor. Can't go around them, can't go under them, and if I go through them I might not be able to walk for a week. Guess I gotta go over it. Backing up to the door and running like an Olympic athlete is easy enough but the landing needs work. I put my free hand to my head and search the wall for any signs of dents. Good there's none. Making sure I don't hurt myself more I finish packing with three minutes left. Maybe I can make an ice pack before I leave.

"We're home Aika!!!" Or not. They could have told me they were going to be early and I would have not packed most of this stuff, only the stuff I need.

"I'm ready to go Mom," I say walking in with my suitcase, martial arts bag, and sleeping things. "Let's go. I have everything I need and the battle scars to prove it." Maybe I said that a little too proudly.....

"And the mess too," Dad must of went past me when I was getting my things. He gave me that "you REALLY should do something about that" look almost all parents have mastered. Do parents go to a school to learn this kind of thing or just pick it up? I got on my hands and knees starting the work.

"You could have waited until we got home," Mom walked in talking in the weird mix between scolding and laughing that only she could have done.

"Maybe, but I didn't really feel like it," I say back. "I get to spend two weeks with my closest friend, and no siblings to scare her, or embarrass me" The smile on my face could be contagious because both of them couldn't help but do it too.