CHAPTER 18- YOUTH

My youth is yours...

We pulled up to a frozen yogurt shop and went inside. There were barely any people there which was good because it meant that the line would be shorter. We grabbed cups filling them to the top with different flavors and toppings then paid at the counter.

We eagerly sat down at a table for two and dug in. I closed my eyes in delight tasting strawberry cheesecake topped off with Oreo bites. I opened my eyes and Carla was doing the same thing. She looked like she was internally moaning. "It's like a foodgasm." She sighed taking another spoon full. I nodded reciprocating her actions.  As I was eating I noticed something different.

"Hey, where's Sara and Nancy?" Referring to the girls who were always attached to her hip. It seemed like she never went anywhere with out them.

She took another bite of her fro yo and rolled her eyes. "Can we please not talk about them. It took me forever to get rid of them. They're always on my ass gosh. A girls gotta breathe, you know what I'm saying?"

I nodded understandingly. "Totally."

Suddenly her eyes held a mischievous glint and she leaned closer. "So who was super freak back at detention?"

"Oh you mean Luke? what about him?"

"He totally wants you."

I choked on my ice cream. "What? What are you talking about?"

"When  I was in operation Break You Out of Detention I stayed a little and watched you two from the door window for a bit. And boy does that boy wants you. He hangs on to every word you say and he looks at you a certain way. It's quiet cute actually."

I looked at her wide-eyed, stunned by her confession. I never thought of Luke like that. Sure he was good looking but I only saw him as a friend. How come I didn't see what Carla was telling me? I didn't know what to say. Maybe she's messing with me, I thought.

"I like someone else." I said before I could stop myself just to get her off my back.

Her smile faltered a little and she held something in her eyes that I couldn't decipher . "Its Austin, isn't it?" She spoke softly.

Fear washed over me and I remembered the main reason she hated me was cause of Austin and I bet many other things but just seeing me with Austin just enraged her. Didn't she know i was just friends with him and nothing more? When I didn't speak she continued.

"Laila I'm not mad at you its just-" she took a deep breath. "I'm happy for you and I wanna put all that Austin drama behind us. I can tell you really like him but I gotta warn you about Austin he's a player at times. Trust me I dated him."

"You guys dated?" This was new to me.

"Yeah, I thought you knew. Don't worry, it was only  for a couple of months  and then he suddenly dumped me out of nowhere and started  going out with the next cheerleader and I..." She suddenly  broke out into a sob.

I gave  her a tissue and rubbed her shoulder sympathetically. "Hey it's okay...don't cry." I wasn't good with crying people, well I wasn't good with people in general.

She blew her nose sniffling. "Sorry about that," she said sheepishly. "But I'm just looking out for you. I don't want what happened to me to happen to you." Her voice held pure sincerity.