Midnight Strolls & Moonlit Banter

Thanks to some nice people who commented, I decided to add another chapter for anyone that's interested - enjoy xx

I had gone to bed early that night, I couldn't stand the concerned looks and glances I was constantly getting from Ryan so I had excused myself from the table and headed for my room. It really felt like my home now and at the same time I felt like I didn't fit in - like a stranger. Eating their food, using their water, it made me feel greedy.

Dan's image floated to the front of my mind and I tried to push it away. I liked Ryan now and I knew he liked me, I couldn't break his heart...
I couldn't think...I was so tired now.

Eventually sleep overcame my thoughts until I heard a knocking at my door. "Kerri?" A voice whispered "Psst."
"What?" I answered, my voice coming out as a croak.
"Kerri, it's me - Ryan."
"Come in then," I said still lying down. In fact, I shifted on to my front and layed my head back down, face down on the pillow.
I felt a weight drop on to the bed and then on my back.
"Ryan!" I mumbled "Get of my back."
He laughed and didn't move.
"So how do you feel about some midnight ice cream?" He asked
Ice cream?
"Yeah, I'm in," I said in the least tired voice I could muster. "Great, let's go," he said cheerfully, like it wasn't 2 am.
I pulled a hoodie over my pajama top and left my grey jogging bottoms on and pulled on my trainers.

Ryan was waiting in the car and I flopped down in the passenger seat. I pulled my knees up to my chest and shut my eyes, until I felt a poke in my ribs.
"As cute as you look, you can't be falling asleep now," Ryan said.
I nodded, but felt my cheeks redden at the compliment.
Finally, we pulled up to Sprinkles, the ice cream place and went inside.
It was almost completely empty, apart from one guy who looked like he'd just come off his night shift.
"Order anything you like," said Ryan.
I grinned and looked at everything on the menu before picking the Ferrero Rocher sundae with whipped cream.
"You're really going for it, i like a girl who's not embarassed to eat loads," laughed Ryan and he went up to order. I watched him as he stood smoothly talking to the person on the till like he always does and I couldn't help but smile, he looked over at me and smiled then grabbed the ice creams and came over to me.
"What's that smile for?"
"The ice cream," I replied, he grinned and said "Let me take you somewhere,"
"Go ahead, it's not like we've already snuck out at for midnight ice creams."
We got up and the cashier said "You can't take the sundae glasses with you."
"Can you put them in take away pots?" I asked
"Okay," he said like he had much better things to be doing. He smiled when he handed them back though - with the plastic spoons.

Ryan drove until I heard the calming sound of waves crashing against the beach. He pulled up into a car park and we both got out and began walking to the beach. It was freezing, it was 3am and this was crazy, but despite this, I felt warm inside, I was happy and for once in my life I felt like I wasn't just sticking to the rules and Ryan did this for me, he's taken the time to get to know me and no one else has. Ryan turned to look back at me - he had walked infront and his silhouette was infront of the moon. He looked perfect and I snapped a photo on my phone. Ryan looked at me again.
"Did you just take a photo of me?" He asked and I nodded as we sat down on the rocks that let our feet dangle in the sand, I took off my shoes socks.
"Do you want to know what I was really smiling about?" I ask Ryan suddenly.
"Course," he has a confused smile on his face.
"You know, I hardly see my dad now, I know you're parents better than my own. I don't live in my own house and I've never felt settled, but all that is okay now, because of you. I don't want to sound all soppy or whatever, but I really, really like you Ryan Evans and I'm really glad I was left at your house."
I don't know where it came from or what possessed me to tell him that, but it was probably the way the moonlight was reflecting on the black Sea and the calmness that the waves were causing me to feel with their repetitive, rhythmic crashing sounds.
"And I really, really like you Kerri Edwards," and with that, he kissed me passionately on the lips underneath the magical light of the moon. Until I could see stars when my eyes were shut and my whole body tingled. I didn't want it to end, but it had to eventually.

"I'm cold," I said after I had been leaning against Ryan for a while. I was expecting the whole 'you can have my hoodie,' thing but nope, not from Ryan.
"I'm not," he said smugly
"Right, well..." I jumped from the wall and Ryan watched me carefully, I walked to the sea and kicked the water towards him soaking his legs "not for long."
I saw Ryan look at his sodden legs, look at me, looked back at his legs and looked at the sea. I saw his thought process and before he could do anything, I ran.

A split second later, he jumped down and ran after me. This was almost a case of de ja vu but this time we were under the sparkling moonlight and next to the glimmering water. He kicked and water caught the back of my ankles but I didn't mind, I just carried on running, giggling. Running until I saw a campfire, I slowed down and let Ryan catch up with me.
Up close, I could see they were teenagers, like me and Ryan.

"You can come and sit down, if you like," said one of them when they noticed I was staring. I waited for Ryan and he caught up and slung his arm around me. He guided me and we sat down on one of the logs.
"These are the kids your parents warn you about," Ryan whispered in my ear, so subtly it looked like he had just breathed next to me ear. I looked at him and smiled.

Thanks guys for reading - the next chapter will be this carried on but In Ryan's P.O.V so if you want to read that, then comment and vote cuz otherwise I won't be bothered if no one want to read it :/
Anyway, thanks!
Jade xx