[12]

Lana squeaked and ran into the water, disappearing into its vast deep. Romeo disappeared into the woods, too accustomed to life as a loner to even think about his newfound pack. The rest of us tore off into the opposite end of the woods, hoping to get far enough away to morph back into human form and escape. Bella and her friend had disappeared, cutting themselves off to the mindlink with one instruction: Head towards the sanctuary. They aren't permitted there.

My first concern was Anita and Piper who were running among us, unlike Scott, Connor, and I their fur color didn't blend in as easily in the woods. They would quickly be spotted. Surround Anita and Piper. It'll make them harder to spot. I commanded. Connor and Scott immediately took to my orders, going on either side of the she wolves. Maybe they've given up. Connor suggested.

The moment he thought of it an arrow tore through the wind, slicing through the very tuft of his ears and landing on tree. Or not. Connor thought. This only encouraged us to go faster as the roar of ATVs and angry hunters roared up towards the horizon. Great. Now they can go off road. Connor said, sarcastically. I, however, ignored him as a plan came into my head. Keep running. I demanded. Before anyone could object, a tore off to the left and circled back, knocking the lead hunter off his ATV and down the slope he had been on.

The other hunters, his so called family, left him to his fate, going after my pack. I wasn't going to kill him, this man who clearly had the wind knocked out of him, no, maim him. Maim him was a better idea. There was one hunter who came down, silver dagger in hand and face covered by her helmet. She screamed as she ran towards me, aiming for my heart. Before she could do anything to me, I quickly knocked her to the ground with a simple swipe of my paw. The girl, infuriated, slowly got up, her breath getting faster and heavier. She pulled off her helmet and revealed herself as someone I already knew.

I knew who she was the moment she came down. The only one that compassionate. That important. The only one that smelled like an ocean breeze.

Megan.

Her red curls tumbled down her shoulders, and the look she gave me with her blazing blue eyes held nothing but contempt and hate. It only took a few moments, locked in each other's gaze, before I tore away from her and ran down, further into the woods. I heard her scream in frustration in the distance. I felt a sharp pain in my shoulder, and saw the arrow hit a tree, an arrow that had just barely nicked me. I briefly turned my head to see the silhouette of Megan, holding a bow in one hand and an arrow in another, before turning back to help her injured companion.

The look she gave me, even though I knew exactly that was coming, haunted me as I bustled towards the sanctuary, the hunters now just a memory. Megan, however, was no memory. The hate. The contempt. The pure desire to kill...me. It was a ghost. It would haunt me for the rest of eternity, and I knew it. I was a monster. That's how she saw me. In the reflection of her eyes, I saw how she saw me - a monster.

When I arrived to the sanctuary, I immediately morphed back into a human, no longer caring about being naked in front of my companions. Bella had laid out fresh clothes for us, recently washed, sitting on the table. I changed quickly, my mind preoccupied by Megan's blazing, hate filled, mesmerizing cobalt blue eyes.

All I wanted was to go home and take a long, hot shower, and that was exactly what I did. I didn't even attempt to speak to my parents, instead I went upstairs, took a hot shower, changed into PJs, and went to bed only to be haunted by deadly blue eyes.

I didn't know where I was. I was somewhere in the middle of the woods, trees surrounding me, blocking any possible exists. Red eyes blinked at me through the shadows. The only light came from the moon, though it was dim. Looking up at the sky, I was shocked, no, horrified. There were no stars, just a pitch black sky with a dimly lit moon.