Chapter 4

*1 day later*

I don't look up when I hear footsteps walking towards me. I just continue studying the ground and how the mulch gets stepped on by my foot.

I especially don't look up because I know who it is.

"Do you sit here everyday?" He asks taking a seat on the swing next to me.

"Leave me alone."

"If you want to be alone sitting in a public park probably isn't the best way," he jokes.

"Maybe I don't want to be alone," I shrug looking over at him, "but just not with you."

"Harsh," he raises his eyebrows teasingly, but I shoot him a look.

"Look," he says dropping the act and becoming serious, "I know I've been a jerk, and I don't blame you for hating me." I open my mouth to speak but he raises his hand to silence me. "Can I take you for ice cream?"

My eyes widen and he must notice because a slight frown forms on his face. It's not his usual cold, hard look but a frown showing actual emotion, even if it's not a good one.

If he wants to switch roles now we can, two can play at this game.

"Why would you want to do that?" I question.

"I feel bad for how I've acted."

"I don't want your pity and if it's your way of trying to make everything better, try harder buddy," I retort.

"Just one time and if you still absolutely despise me then I'll leave you alone," he assures.

"Why would I want to go?"

"I'll answer some of your questions," he states looking at me like that's the deal breaker. Although it is an enticing one.

"Only if you buy me the ice cream," I cross my arms like a child.

"Of course," a small grin graces his face.

The corners of his mouth turn up, slowly but surely, as if they're rusty to such motions. It makes me wonder when the last time he actually smiled was.

The smile quickly disappears returning back to his cold, hard look, which appears to be his signature expression.

"Ready to go?" He asks studying my face.

I'm not use to someone looking, let alone staring at me, so it makes me slightly uncomfortable. Chuckling nervously, I stand up.

"Yeah let's go."

He stands and walks to my side.

Gesturing forward he suggests, "shall we?"

He looks at me, and I respond by giving a quick nod. We proceed to walk to the nearest ice cream shop.

The main thought racing in my brain is what flavor to pick because let's face it, ice cream is ice cream. It's actually in the top twenty of America's favorite foods, which I know because I wrote a report on it once.