Chapter 12

"Alex, Charlotte, are you guys coming down?" His mom calls up the stairs.

"Yeah, hold on," Alex calls back down as he hangs up the rest of his shirts.

A moment later laughter comes floating down the hallway. Ella is giggling as her dad carries her into the room.

"Mama wants to know what you guys are doing."

"We're cleaning his room," I state causing them to look over at me under a pile of clothes on the bed.

"Wow," his dad whistles, "I think this is the cleanest I've seen your room."

Ella climbs out of her dad's arms and joins me in the bed.

"Good job Lo," she comments.

"Hey! I'm the one cleaning," Alex objects throwing a shirt at us.

"I'm helping," I defend, deflecting it from hitting us.

"Oh yeah, how?" He teases.

"Moral support."

Ella laughs, and Alex jokingly glares at her.

"You're on her side?"

She nods before fully shoving herself under the clothes pile. His dad chuckles shaking his head and tells us to finish up and hurry downstairs.

"I'll teach you," Alex taunts going to tickle Ella, and I tense.

He notices, dropping his and turning to me. "I'm sorry."

"You're not my father, and they're just words, it's okay," I reassure him.

He doesn't break eye contact as he leans in more. He shuts his eyes but before I can lean in myself Ella climbs on my lap and kisses his cheek.

He freezes for a second but a smile lights up his face as he sits back.

"Why thank you princess Ella for saving me," I tell her.

She smiles as she climbs into Alex's lap.

"Big brother are you done cleaning?" She asks earnestly. He looks around surveying the room before his eyes land back on me.

"For now," he answers.

"Yay," she cheers, "come on guys."

She swiftly climbs off the bed and heads into the hallway.

"I guess she couldn't save you from the troll this time," he teases placing his lips on mine.

I smile against his lips and pull him closer to me. I soon pull away and rest my forehead against his.

"We should go downstairs."

"You're right, don't want to keep the princess waiting," he reluctantly agrees taking my hand as we head of his room.

The steps down to the living room are short.

"Do you want something to drink?" He asks looking at me.

"Just some water please."

"Go ahead and sit down, I'll bring some in," he nods to the couch before heading into the kitchen.

I walk over to the couch that his mom and dad aren't sharing and make myself comfortable. Ella crawls over from the other end and cuddles up next to me.

"I'll put the first tape in while we wait," his mom decides getting out of her husband's arms to put it in the VCR.

On the to appears a younger version of them in the bathroom, hunching over the counter.