Chapter 6- calor currunt

Disclaimer: I do not own anything the Vampire Diaries.

"I don't like it, the power you have over me.

You... should just let me be.

You say you will... but I'm yet to be set free."

~Let Me Be- Harleighblu

Chapter 6 –calor currunt

By the time the pair had made it Bonnie's grandmothers quaint little abode it was almost dark. The sun was barely peeking over the horizon and cast little shadows over the house and lawn that sat before them; giving the place she had always found so comforting a chilly appearance.

"She lived here?" Kai shuddered, slamming the car door behind him.

"I mean I'm a psychopath, but at least my house was...homey." He went on, raising his eyebrows at the house's questionable appearance.

"It wasn't always like this...at least not in modern times that is." She finished furrowing her eyebrows.

As they trudged up towards the house Elena looked around alarmed, then realization kicked in and she mentally face-palmed herself. She laughed inwardly to herself, or at least she thought she had. The look she noticed Kai giving her through her peripheral vision said otherwise.

"There was a tree that was here...or is going to be here anyways...Bonnie and I carved our initials into it...or are going to carve our initials..." She said, feeling the need to attempt to explain, but only confusing herself in the process.

"Yeah absolutely chuckle-worthy..." He trailed off jumping into the hammock that stood on the porch.

"No, it's just I keep forgetting it's not 2015."

"This is really comfortable." He sighed, completely ignoring her previous statement. He stretched out, putting his hands behind his head, and closing his eyes.

Elena rolled her eyes and waited a few seconds for him to decide to get up and decided to speak when he didn't budge.

"What are you doing?"

He blinked open an eye and replied in an annoyed tone "Well I was trying to sleep, when I heard this irritating noise. It kind of sounded like your voice, but it could be the exhaustion of your attempt of leading me on a heat run all day getting to me."

She was ready to throw a retort when a curious thought popped in her head.

"What the heck is a heat run?"

"It is when you try to lead a person on a series of twists and turns so they can't pinpoint your exact destination. Haven't you seen any action movies?" He asked opening his eyes and turning to her with a look of concern.

"How did you—?"

"Know? Well I didn't you just confirmed that for me; but I did have an idea after a few hours when some of your directions started to repeat, and things started looking familiar. Also, there was the fact that you and Bonnie used to play here. There's no way in hell you guys would take a four hour drive that often." He finished explaining, reclosing his eyes, as Elena stood there wide-eyed as Elena tried to process everything he had just relayed to her.

"I'm not mad if that's what you're thinking. It's actually kind of cute that you thought you could outsmart me. Though I am kind of bummed out that I had to drive for so long." He said hopping out of the hammock, pacing back and forth once, and then stopping to face her.

"I get it though. You didn't want Bonnie to know that you brought me instead of Damon. I'm positive she wouldn't approve of our relationship. Also, there is the fact that you couldn't take a chance in me getting my hands on any of the Bennett grimoires."

"I never said that." Elena abruptly replied, feeling somewhat defensive.

He took a step closed, and leaned in until he was only inches away from her ear.

"Yeah, but you thought it." He breathed, a sick smirk on his face that made her skin tingle.

"How the heck can you—"

"Read your mind?" He finished knowingly taking a step back. "The moment you took my hands before the blast you were bound to me."

"Bound to you?" She questioned him, raising her eyebrows in disbelief.

"Don't worry, I only can read your thoughts if I try really hard...or you're emotionally vulnerable. On the bright-side the only other side-effect is that if I die, you die or vice-versa." He finished explaining, and with the triumphant smile on his face you would have thought his favorite team had won the Super Bowl."

His smile faded when he noticed the scowl on her face.

"What," He asked her, a confused look appearing on his face.

"You told me there were no side effects Kai!" She sneered through clenched teeth.

"I didn't think it was important enough to mention at the time." He shrugged nonchalantly.

"You didn't think it was important enough to mention that if I came here with you we would be bound to each other?" She questioned eyes so wide you would have thought she'd gone completely mad.

"Well when you put it like that I kind of feel bad...then again you of all people should know what happens when you dance with the devil— Speaking of dancing, I've been thinking maybe that's what we should do for our second date." He smiled thoughtfully.

"You know I'd kill you right now, if I wasn't risking killing myself!" She growled, veins beginning to appear under her already red turned eyes.

He opened his mouth to reply but before he could let out another smart retort she burst through the Bennett witch's front door, not even bothering to check if it was locked.

"Well that was unnecessary." He muttered trailing behind her. She made her way all the way to the back where a red door lay. It was locked. Instead of taking the time to find a key, she pushed against the door with her body weight, laced with frustration.

"You know I could have just—"

"Shut up!" She sneered, cutting him off.

"Okay." He mumbled putting his hands up on mock surrender, before falling her down the rickety, unreliable steps. It was dark at first, but Elena quickly located light-switch.

"Stay here."

She made her way over to a large chest with no visible padlock, but a big key hole. She attempted to thrust the top open with all her strength and after no avail began to frantically look around the room for a key.

"I could just open it with magic you know." He piped up an amused smile on his face.

"Yeah the last thing I need is to have to owe you one." She frowned.

"Well it would be beneficial to both of us if you just let me—"

"Trust me you've done enough." She said turning her attention to the slightly shifted board in the wooden floor. She wrenched it from the floor, revealing a dusty, old-school golden key.

"See. Looks like I don't need you help at all." She smirked, blowing away the obtained dust.

A/N: Deeply apologize for the hiatus. Hope it lives up to your standards. ;)