Chapter 3

We began down the dark road back to our house. Fireflies danced in the sky and lit up the road ahead. Oakland road is a very rural area with no streetlights. I looked out my window and stared at a giant field as it flew by. Last spring, the night before my dad was set to go to Iraq, we went to that field and had a mini campout. We made a fire, roasted marshmallows, and looked at the stars. It was the best night of my life, but I didn't want to go to sleep, because I knew that next day would come faster, and I wanted to spend every last moment I could with my father.

My mom turned up the radio and we both started to sing along. She began to dance and I laughed and joined in. We rolled the windows and the breeze blew my hair everywhere. I felt so free. It was a great feeling.

"Anastasia, have you seen my phone?"
My mom yelled.

I leaned forward and turned down the radio as her boring ringtone grew louder.

"You really should change that ringtone." I teased.

"There it is." My mom said, completely ignoring my suggestion.

Then I looked back at the road, at then, it happened.

"MOM DEER!!!" I screamed

After that, everything seemed to happen in slow motion. My mom lifted her head up, and jerked her wheel to the right. The wheels screeched, and the car crept closer and closer to a tree. Then, it almost seemed as though someone snapped their fingers the second we hit that tree. It happened so fast. My neck slammed into the front headrest and whipped back. The windshield shattered, and shards of glass pierced my skin like thousands of needles.  The pain took my breath away, and I blacked out.

Thanks for reading!!! It's kind of a cliffhanger I know, but I will be updating soon!!
I hope you like it so far!
~Katie💕