Chapter 5

All the sirens grew louder as they approached us. The high pitched ringing and flashing lights only made my head hurt worse. I knew all I could do was keep still. The shuffling of footsteps gave me a sigh of relief. Someone was coming to help me. Three EMTs crowded around my stiff body. A younger man bent down to my side. He looked me straight in the eyes, and his soft blue eyes helped me to relax.

"Hello sweetie. Can you tell me your name?"

I had to think about it. Why can't I remember my own name?! Maybe the shock from the crash is still there. After far too long thinking, I responded softly,

"Anastasia"

"Hello Anastasia, I'm Drew. We're going to lay you down on a stretcher now, and have you taken to the hospital. Please don't move at all. If there's any chance you have a neck injury, moving around may cause more damage."

The only thing I could think about was my mother. I hadn't heard anything from her or about her.

"Where's my mother?" I whispered

Drew just looked at me with a sad expression, and ran back to the ambulance. I sat there in silence, and my brain began to fill up with more questions, and more fear. Before I could try to push them away, Drew came back, followed by two other men. They lowered down the board next to me, and told me to stay as still as possible while they picked me up. As soon as they began to lift, a sharp, agonizing pain shot through my entire body. A pain I've never experienced before. It was so intense I couldn't speak. I just let out a soft moan and they began to strap me into the stretcher.

I tried to look around without moving my head to see if I could spot my mother. All I wanted was to know if she was okay. I frantically scanned the scene with just my eyes, praying I'd see her long brown hair, and hear her soft voice telling me everything was okay. But I saw no one, and I heard no one, except for the EMTs and police officers.

"One dead, one in critical condition. She is currently being sent to the nearest hospital for proper care."

One dead, one alive. Tears welled up in my eyes. I'm the one in critical condition, which means only one thing. My mother is dead