Chapter 4

I felt myself slowly regain consciousness. I hoped that when I opened my eyes, I would be safely in my bed. My body flooded with pain, and the gut feeling of reality set it. I was afraid to open my eyes. I wasn't ready. I sat there for a moment and slowly moved my fingers around. That simple movement made the small amount of energy I had left escape my broken body.  I had to do something. Obviously no one had come down the road, or they would have seen us. I took at deep breath and prepared myself for the worst, and slowly opened my eyes.

Everything was blurry, but slowly went into focus.  The first thing I saw was the moon lighting up the night sky.  I slowly turned my head and it began to throb.  I was able to make out a silhouette of our car, or at least what was left of it. I need to find help, and fast.  I remembered my father telling me that if I was ever in a car accident, not to move because I could potentially injure myself worse.  How was I supposed to get help? Any task that required extra thinking made my head pound.  I then remembered my phone must still be in my pocket.  I used every last bit of strength in me to pick up my arm, pull my phone out of my pocket, bring it to my ear, and type in those three dreaded numbers.

"911 whats your emergency?"

I didn't know what to say, nor did i have the strength within me to speak.

"Hello? What is your emergency?"

I managed to whisper one word,

"help."

"What is going on ma'am?  Ma'am?"

I continued to lay there, praying she wouldn't hang up. 

"Ma'am, we are going to track your phone's location, and send someone out to help. Just stay on the line with me."

Thank god.  She talked to me for some time, reassuring me that help was coming.  I wish I could've responded, but I just laid there and breathed.  I told myself that everything was okay, but my gut told me otherwise.  I hadn't heard anything since I woke up, except for the hissing of cicadas.  Questions began to flood my brain. Where was my mother? Is she okay? Am I okay?  All this thinking made my head hurt even more than before, so I tried to shut off my brain. A few minutes later, I was able to breath a small sigh of relief as I heard the faint sound of sirens becoming louder.