chapter fourteen

(the gif because he's so beautiful. early update because of the flawless cover done by the ever-so-kind -AriaArgent . also, because so many of you are so anxious, Harry will talk. I won't say the specific chapter, but it will be in a few--pretty soon. fun question, what do you think the first thing he says will be? ^-^ thank you so much for reading xx)

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

AFTER GETTING A RELUCTANT Harry into the shower, Evelyn and Sasha stand outside the bathroom door. There's a strange silence between them, though Evelyn wouldn't quite call it awkward. The little girl keeps looking up at Evelyn almost like she's expecting something. Evelyn hasn't the slightest idea what the girl wants from her, so she averts her own gaze to the ceiling.

Evelyn feels the need to poke around the IKEA, simply out of pure nosiness and curiosity. So far she'd counted about fifty people, however, IKEA is a large place and something tells her there's many more bodies occupying the building. Quincy seems nice enough, so it's unlikely he'd turn a lot of stragglers away. He offered them a place, hadn't he?

But something just feels... off about him. Maybe it's his overly friendly words and smiles, or maybe that's just Evelyn holding onto her past self that despised excessively happy people. It's not that there's anything wrong with being happy, but it makes Evelyn uncomfortable being around constantly bubbly people. Humans aren't supposed to be giddy all the time. It just isn't natural, as sad as it sounds, and it puts Evelyn on edge.

"I like your eyes."

Evelyn's eyebrows furrow as she glances down at the little girl. Her sentence had nearly been inaudible, but Evelyn heard it clear as day. "Um, thank you..." She skims the girl. "I like your shoes. Maybe we can clean them one day so they sparkle again, eh?"

Sasha grins then, her entire face brightening as she glances down at her glittery light up sneakers. They're covered in mud with barely any glitter, but it's just there to see and it seems to satisfy Sasha that Evelyn noticed.

The door to the bathroom swings open, practically making Evelyn jump out of her skin. She whips around, then wishes she hadn't bothered.

Harry is standing there with only jeans on, his torso bare. His wet hair drips onto his strong chest and down his toned abdomen, catching Evelyn's eyes a bit too long. Her cheeks heat and she groans to cover it up, acting annoyed.

"Really? Are clothes that much of a bother?"

He frowns at her, then holds up his tattered shirt smeared with blood and dirt.

She purses her lips. "I forgot to ask Mr. Boss Man for fresh clothes for you."

He rolls his red eyes.

"Don't act like it's the end of the world." She bites the inside of her cheek, in the midst of her thoughts and trying not to stare at him. She can't exactly leave him here on his own. What if a soldier comes by and he's forced to look at them? They can't risk anyone catching who he really is if they have any hope in spending the night with actual shelter.

Sasha speaks up, very quietly. "I'll stay with him."

Evelyn thinks this through. Not what she'd prefer, but it's something, she supposes. "Are you sure?"

Sasha nods.

"Tell anyone who comes by someone is using the shower, okay? And Harry," she says, turning back to him and struggling to keep her eyes on his face, "stay in there, got it?"

He rolls his eyes again, but closes the door nonetheless.

Evelyn practically sprints down the hall, an anxious feeling twisting in the pit of her stomach.