Don't Care Anymore

Today is the day I'm leaving everything I've ever known. I really don't care about Nicky or the rumors at school. I feel great about starting over. I can be happier and start things much slower. I found a family that wants to adopt me and Max. The father is a mechanic, the mother a dentist, and they have a son in college. Max and I went home to pack our things. When I was done, I went to Max's room. She was already finished packing. I guess she went to go visit a friend. I walked around and tripped over something. It was a black sport shoe box with the words "PRIVATE" written on the top. I opened it up and saw the unicorn, a bracelet, her diary, and a picture of me and her. The picture was when I was five and my sister was eight. I was on her back and we were both smiling. I remember when that photo was taken. It was the last time I saw Max having a blast. Suddenly, while I was looking at the photo, Max walked in. 

"So you found my stash"

I smiled and nodded "Yeah. Hey, Max.. Why did you stop smiling?" I said turning around. She sighed.

"Let's just say.. a lot of things got in my way. Now, come on, let's go put our stuff in the car." I took the photo and put it in my purse and took Max's box. I closed the door and took a car to the house. I smiled and sighed. Max walked next to me wearing her backpack. 

 "I'm going to miss all the memories of this place" I said. 

"I thought you hated the memories"

"I know, but it was the only ones I've experienced with this family and now I'm not going to see this place anymore"

"Whatever, now come on. Everyone is waiting." I gave the house one last look and saw Mason walking up with his hands in his pockets.

"So you're going to leave without saying goodbye?" He asked. I smiled and gave him a big hug. 

"I don't want to say goodbye." I let go of him and looked at him. "Let's just say 'see ya later'" Mason smiled and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek. 

"See ya later, Zoe."