Chapter 3: Savoir

As I smelled my nasty looking tuna fish that was for lunch of the day, I looked at how the other people who were smart enough and their trays were filled with mystery meat and potato salad. The mystery behind the meat is no meat at all. It just tastes like it. I knew I should of have gotten that instead of nasty tuna that sometimes has human hair in it. People say it is not just the hair on the lunch lady’s heads, but on their hairy moles, too! Yuck! But, it didn’t get worst after that. Once I sat in my seat, Ty-rid out of nowhere came all up in my face. “What did he say?” I looked puzzled. “Wait, what? Who?” “Romeo—that fresh bro, what did he say to you,” exclaimed Ty-rid in a severely, angry harsh voice. “All he asked was my name and I told him and he said it was beautiful. That’s all!” Ty-rid looked at me as if I was stupid. “I don’t like that boy. He trouble. If anything happens, you know where I’ll be after school,” Ty-rid whispered while getting up and backing up. “At your Aunt Jamie’s helping her make dinner for your Uncle and other Aunt and your 3 cousins.” “And the second place I go to after school, too.” Then and there he disappeared. “What a hunk—yeah right,” I whispered to myself.  

Out of the blue I felt a hand pressed on my shoulder. It was Romeo. “Hey… Flower. What are you eating?” I just sat there in shock. Then back to reality. “Uh this? This is tuna. Yep. Tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna. Just plain old nasty tuna for lunch.” “Wow, I guess you really like tuna.” “Naww… I just have… nothing else to eat that’s all. This is all I have. Yep…… did I mention this is tuna?” I thought I sounded stupid and I couldn’t use any other word but tuna. “You pretty did. But, I think I have an extra brought-from-home-lunch you could eat. Here try this. My chef made it and it tastes so delicious.”

It was subway sandwich. I just stared at it. “Well, aren’t you going to take a bite?” I then bit into the subway and chewed it very slowly. To my astonishment, it tasted like a delectable cuisine. My eyes widened a bit. “Woow… this is really good!” “Yeah, I know right!” “You want it ‘cause I will take it from you boy if you don’t want it?” Romeo shook his head. “Only my friends can have an opportunity taste like this. But, you, you mean more to me… so… yeah help yourself.” I quickly snatched it from his hand and gobbled it down. “Sorry, I am soooo hungry! I hope I didn’t disgust you…um… Did I,” I questioned, just gulping down my last swallow. “Not at all. You’re too fine and sweet to disgust me baby.” After those words came out of his mouth, butterflies fluttered inside me.

 Then Romeo held my hand firm and warm. And he stared into my eyes. “Where have you been baby girl in my life?” “Oh yeah when I bumped into you in the hallway ‘cause I needed to go to the bathroom—badly.” Romeo started to laugh. “You’re too fine to be here.” “Just like the words that came out your mouth earlier today…” “I mean Flower that you deserve better. You need a guy like me who can spoil you to death. Buy you rings, necklaces, shoes, earrings, get your hair did and take you out to movies and dinners or take you in my mansion.” “Seriously?” “Yeah… I really like you already. All these other girls they ain’t good enough for me. I need you. Please be my rose?”