Chapter 4

Let's start with the truth
Cause it gets you in the end
Hangin'

Lise
Dear Julie,

No problem. I know my mums name was Julie.

This is a bit awkward to write, because I know I'll never send it to you, but I just need to write some feelings down.

So my mum never saw these letters? It's just a sort of diary of my dad? Even better. Maybe I can find something which embarrasses him.

The first time I saw you, at the reception, should probably be a moment I'll  remember forever. I know now already I won't. Not because I didn't like you, I did, but because of the wicked moments we've experienced already. And then just remember we know each other for three days now! You became a real friend.

Wait. It became serious after ONLY 3 DAYS? Are you sure you love all of her, dad? And apparently he used the word wicked then already. He still does, that's a funny thing to see!

But, and I know this can spoil our friendship forever, I think I want us to be more than just friends. I might be a bit in love with you. I don't know what to do with this feeling. You're such beautiful, kind and funny, and I really felt something when you hugged me yesterday. I know it was a joke, but still... But on the other side, imagine i ask you to be my girlfriend.
When you say no, you won't want to see me anymore, because you'll think I've used our friendship only to be with you.
When you say yes, it's of course amazing, but if we fall apart, our friendship will be over immediately.

Awh! He starts to be insecure! How cute!

I don't want to loose our wicked friendship, but I want to be fair to you too. I don't know what to do...

Just show you're a brave boy and f*cking ASK HER!

I'll think about it tonight, tomorrow I'll make a definitive decision.

Yeah, that's called procrastination dad!

Sleep well, dear Julie
X, Dan

Wait. Did I just read Dan? WHO IS DAN? Everything in this letter is typically my dad, but WHO IS DAN? My dad isn't Dan, he's just Matt...

Matt
When I'm visiting the Anne Frank House, my mobile phone rings. It's Lise I see.
"Lise, what's wrong?"
"I got a few questions for you dad."
"Lise, I'm just very busy with..."
"Sightseeing in a city you've visited a thousand times already. So, first of all. WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL ME ABOUT THAT NANNY?!"

A nanny? That's strange! I didn't get a nanny for Lise! Is it maybe...

"Lise, I didn't get a nanny for you. Please tell me her name."
"Yeah, sure. She's called Janna Simmons"

Just what I thought. Things are getting serious.

"Lise, you have to go away as soon as possible. Go to the attic, read the letters, and go to you mum's old address. There you'll find me."
"Dad, I don't understand. Janna is super nice!"
"Lise, we have no time for this! Read those letters and you'll understand everything!"

They found us. We'll have to stay aware if we want to stay alive. They're very close...