Chapter One

She was running. Running so fast her heart was about to explode, both from fear and the exertion she was putting on her body. Looking behind her she could barely see him in the pouring rain, but there he was chasing after her. She could almost feel the murderous look in his eyes. Then all of a sudden, she felt herself falling. Dazed and soaked to the core, she looked up and saw him looming over her with a sinister smile on his face. Lightning flashed, and she was able to see blood dripping from his mouth, where she knew sharp teeth were hiding. His claws came out from his hands, he leaned down close to her ear and whispered, "I'm coming for you. And when I find you..." He nipped at her neck, drawing blood. "You're dead!" And he sunk his claws into her sides, making her scream out. And everything went black.

Melody Ángelo woke with a start, drenched in sweat and panting so hard it seemed like she ran a marathon. Wincing, she felt a throbbing pain at her sides. Lifting up her shirt, she saw fading claw marks on each side of her torso. She's been having this nightmare for the past few nights now, each one was getting worse. Every time he would harm her she woke up with those injuries fading away. Melody just wishes she would stop having these dreams. She could almost feel his cold and dark presence lingering in the air.

Sighing, Melody looked over at her alarm clock and saw it was only 7:30 am "Too early!" Melody groaned. Laying back down she tried to go back to sleep, but it wouldn't come to her. With a huff, she decided to get up and get ready for the day.

While she was showering she thought back to her dream. Melody never understood why she would wake up with those fading scars, she just hoped they would keep fading away. Trying to change her thoughts she wondered what to do for the day.

Maybe I should go and see the town. She thought.

Melody had recently moved -again- to Blue River, Colorado; a remotely small town where she hopes no one will be able to find her. Ever since she'd started getting those threatening death letters she's been moving nonstop for two years.

Stepping out the shower, she wrapped herself in the towel and wiped the mirror looking at her reflection, she cringed. You could tell she wasn't able to sleep well the night before. As Melody stood there she looked herself over. She had her mother's features; a sharp nose, nice smooth cheekbones, and full pouty lips so pink, it looked like lipstick. But, she had her father's wavy brown/auburn long hair and almond-shaped grey eyes. Her eyes were her favorite, they always stood out from her pale face. They always seemed as if there was a storm brewing in them.

Standing at 5'6, she was average height. Looking over her pale slim body, she remembered how her mom would joke saying she was getting her grandmother's curves. Smiling a little at the memory, she felt some tears escape from her eyes. Melody quickly wiped it away, looked at herself one more time and walked away. She hated that she looked so much like them. It always hurt to look in the mirror.

Once Melody was in her room, she changed into her everyday outfit. A white wife beater, ripped skinny jeans, black combat boots, and a leather jacket. Never really caring about make-up she only put some concealer under her eyes to hide the dark circles and some Chapstick. She contemplated whether to pick her wet hair up, but decided to leave it down.

Walking out of her room she stopped to look around her new temporary home. It's a small and cozy cottage she's renting from a couple who now live in the city. She was lucky to be able and find it and in such short notice too. It was definitely, better than where she lived before. This cottage actually had a room, bathroom, kitchen, and a living room, which held a small fireplace against the far wall, for the cold wintery nights. Melody was relieved and surprised to know the house came with its own furniture -saving her from spending the money she needed and the unwanted trips into town. The living room held a two-seater couch with a rug and a small coffee table in the middle. There was even a small T.V. and DVD player. The kitchen had a table for two, fridge, stove, microwave and coffee maker. There were even some cooking utensils in the drawers. Her room had a full sized bed, a nightstand, and a small lamp.

I should probably head out to the grocery store and buy some food and things for the house. She thought while walking outside.

Melody stopped to take in the view in front of her. The cottage was located in the middle of the woods. The closest neighbors were five miles down the road and only five minutes drive by car. Everywhere she looked there were trees. Melody looked at them in awe, since it was mid fall all the leaves were different colors, beautiful mixtures of yellows, reds, and oranges. At her feet there was a bunch of leaves that had fallen, creating a huge pile of leaves. Melody had the strong childlike urge to jump in them and play. In the distance, you could see the tips of the mountains in the area.

Turning she took a look at the cottage, from the outside it looked smaller than it really was. It's white coat covering every inch except with the touches of black on the shutters and the door. The house may have been simple, but after everything she's been through, simple is perfect.

Turning on her heel, Melody walked to her red buggy and started the car. Immediately the radio started blasting music and Melody instantly felt relaxed. She doesn't know why, but music has always been able to calm her down. Music was therapeutic to her; it was her drug. Backing out the driveway, she all but hoped she wouldn't get lost in this new town.

____________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: So here's the first chapter! And above I have attached the book trailer that the amazing @anarchymydear8 did for me! I also attached a picture of the lovely India Eisley as Melody.

Now I know I said in the old version that I also had a new book cover, but I am currently having some technical difficulties with the new cover -.-'.  And I also know that this chapter is pretty short, BUT my other chapters will be long so no worries!

I hope you guys have enjoyed this chapter and I will post the second chapter soon.

Please comment what you think so far and vote! :D