Ch6: Let's move forward...

Nandini

It was a beautiful December morning in Delhi. Now I understand the reason behind all the patriotic songs that quote the importance of your birth place because no matter in which part of the world you live, the place where you were born always keeps a special space in your heart. Even if that place doesn't suit your life style or your choices anymore, yet the kind of comfort and peace you feel when you breathe the most familiar air is incomparable.

It was 5 pm that means I slept for good 6 hours. No wonder I'm feeling so fresh right now. But now I would have to spend another sleepless night! Agghh! When will I get rid of this stupid jet-lag?

I took a loooongg shower finally after almost 36 hours! That's a first! Umm.. okay?..I guess!

I made myself comfortable in the simplest of clothes, put some eye liner and lip balm and brushed my hair to keep them open and I was ready to take a step into the new, or actually the old world of mine.

"Hellooo! I am ready!!"
I greeted bhaiya-bhabhi, they were on the couch busy working on their own laptops. Technically, they were not on leave. They only got the permission to work from home for a few days which obviously meant they have to work in night and sleep in the day-time!

They were so engrossed in their work that they didn't even look up to see me. I went and stood in front of them crossing my hands on my chest.

"Busy much?" I asked

"Yeah we are going out and might not be able to work tonight so was just preparing the presentation. Are you done?" Bhai asked me.

"Yup! All done. Absolutely ready for the mission", I said and then they looked up to me.
Their first reaction was blank as if they have forgotten everything and I'm looking like an alien to them. After few seconds, a little smile crept on their lips and their blank expression changed into that of an amused one. Well, now I guess I am really looking like an alien!

"What? Why are you both giving such weird reactions? And why this smile? Care to explain?"

"Nothing. We don't think you'll get to experience the morning incident again."

What?

"Huh? What do you mean? Which incident?"

"You know where people will claim to know you and you won't have a slightest of idea about who they are! That won't happen this evening."

"and why would you say that?"
I wasn't getting anything. I mean are we going to some place where all those who know me do not come or I have got horns over my head or my skin colour has become blue or purple? I mean why won't people recognise me?

"Look at you!", that's what they said, smiled and left from there!

Seriously? Okay since I can see that my hands are still of the same colour means there's nothing wrong with the skin colour. So I'm sure either I've got horns over my head or there's something on my face. I rushed back to the room and checked myself out in the mirror from head to toe but everything was normal. Huh? Were they both making fun of me?

"There's nothing wrong with how I look! You guys need to wear your specs!"
I shouted standing outside their room.
I could hear them chuckle after this! Grrr. What yaa? This is just not fair. I want my memory back NOW! I can't stay being this 'all the time confused soul' for any longer.

By the time we left our house, it was 7 in the evening. The darkness had taken over the light, all around!
I wasn't mad at bhaiya-bhabhi anymore. Obviously! They know exactly how to take care of that. From playing my favourite songs to getting me my favourite food, from letting me buy my favourite novels to taking me for a long drive! It's been a month since I've lost my memory and all I have gathered by now is that they know me the best! For now, even more than I know my self.