1. The Past

My Dad walked toward me and held out his hand.

"I'll always be here Stephanie, even if I'm not here."

I reached out to him, but he disappeared right before my eyes. I collapsed, screaming and crying.

"Stephanie!"

My younger sister, Emily, she was running towards me yelling my name."

"Wake up! You're late for school!" I opened my eyes.

"Wait what?"

"YOU SLEPT IN! Now get up! I took your clothes out of the basket they're on your chair and your lunch is in the fridge,"

"You sound like a mom," I groaned. But then I looked at the clock.

"Oh crap!" I jumped up and pushed Emily out of my room. I quickly changed and ran downstairs. School started at 8:00am and it was already 7:45. I guess that's what I get for falling asleep again after my mom woke me up.

I dream about my dad almost every night. When I was 10 years old he died mysteriously. Before that everything was perfect. Now my mom refuses to be with another guy, and acts blank-minded.

"Bye!" I yelled as I ran out the door. Time to get to school in five minutes. I ran the whole way there. I've never been late for the 15 years I've been alive. There's no way I'm starting now. I guess I'm kind of a goody two shoes. My boyfriend thinks so too. I made Trevor into the angel he never was before me. We've been together for a year and a half, and still in love. For grade 10's, no one really believes we'll get married, but that's the only thing keeping me going.

I finally got to school and went straight to my locker and made it to math class just before announcements ended.

"Welcome, Stephanie," said Mr. Zakaria, he's so nice and old fashioned.
It was a long day. After math was art, computer science, then English. At the end of the day I went to my locker in the most dreadful hall in the school; the claustrophobic hall. My locker buddy was there waiting to make fun of me like always.

"You left your locker unlocked again, Carter. I closed it for you, you're welcome," I said sarcastically.

"Yup, do I have homework?" He asked.

"How am I supposed to know?" I swear he asks me that every single day. I was putting my binder in my backpack when a pair of arms wrap around me.

"Stop doing that I always think you're someone else!" I laughed with Trevor.

"Okay sorry I'll stop hugging you," he looked down with the pouty face that made me first talk to him.

"Awe Tev that's not what I meant!" I hugged him tight. We walked out of the school and to his house. On the way out, I saw him. Tristan. Trevor just glared but me and him didn't stop smiling at each other. He was there and gone. Probably going to football practice. Trevor pretty much wants to kill him. We've been talking on and off for years and dated in grade 6. I know I know, grade 6. It was sooo serious. But his personality being complete asshole 90% of the time makes it hard for us not to fight. Trevor has his reasons to hate him, things have happened. But they're in the past.

We got to Trevor's house and he got ready to work a 3:00 to 9:00 shift at Subway. As soon as I walked in the door, Tyson jumped up on me.

"Ahh! Trevor control your dog!" But in less than a second he got distracted by something else and ran away. That dog is unstable.

We got in the car and I was to be dropped off at home. It was just around the corner but I hate walking in the winter.

"Have a good day at work baby, I love you," I kissed Trevor goodbye.

"I love you too!"

I waved to his car until I couldn't see it anymore. Then I hurried to unlock my door and ran inside. I threw my backpack on the couch and grabbed the key to the garage. I ran out into the backyard and towards the garage door.

"Damnit come on," I whispered. I could see my breath. The stupid lock was frozen. I ran inside and got a cup of boiling water. I could see the ice melt off the lock like a time lapse or something. I threw the cup on the ground and pushed through the door, shutting it carefully behind me. I'm glad my sister doesn't come home until 3:45. It's not a lot of time but it's enough.

I pushed some boxes aside and crawled under the pool table. It's actually really dark in here I can't see a thing. I felt for a bump in the floor.

"There it is," I pulled up the latch and lifted open the floor, letting me into my hideaway. I climbed down a dark ladder for about a minute. I've been coming down here since I could walk.

"It feels like it's been forever," I reached the bottom and pushed a button to open the door. This is a secret I've kept since my dad told me. Now that he gone, it's my responsibility.