please don't feed the children chp. 6 part 2

Orange swirled on the floor as I tried to clean up a mess that had surely left its mark.

On my knees I was scrubbing furiously to get the blood off, to wipe it from my memory.

But mostly I was cleaning swiftly just to ignore the agonizing stare it was giving me.

I felt eyes pierce into my back, burning the cotton of my dress. But I just keep on trying to wipe away the blood. I couldn’t face those eyes right now. In denial, I was trying to treat this thing like a monster; a cruel, heartless bastard. But if I dare look into those eyes, I knew what I’d find.

Loss. Fear. Sadness.

Guilt.

And that was just too much right now.

I try to focus on Lane also, to hear what he was going through. But silence was the only thing in the air, so I assumed he was cleaning like me.

My arm throbbed more than ever as I moved it up and down. The pain made me want to scream, but I knew better than that. And I knew better not to lift my sleeve and see what was underneath. I already noticed the stains oozing onto my tattered dress where the cuts where, so I didn’t want it to worry me further.

It’ll be fine. Just shrug it off. I reassure myself for a few minutes but to no avail does it calm me down the slightest bit.

I slap my cheek mentally and continue rubbing around the scarlet liquid quickly. But obviously this isn’t working; I seemed to only be rubbing around the red until it was left a little muted and faded. I give out a frustrated sigh but continue to rub my fingers raw with the dirty towel.

And something weird happened.

I felt someone creep closer and kneel down next to me.

Then they took the towel from my hands and replaced it with a clean one.

But the only one here other than me is… them.

I look over were the body heat radiates, and I see it.

That monsters numb smile, surprisingly somewhat beautiful against pale flesh, and its eyes.

Oh hell, it’s eyes.

Their eyes.

His eyes.

No Caroline, don’t think of them like that. Anyone that can watch someone getting hurt, let alone do it themselves, is not human.

Then I’m not human either. The fact I’ve killed two people makes me eat my own words.