Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Darkness and the resounding buzz of silence at last reached through my state of sleep.  I had never wanted to sleep in the first place.  I needed to know where I was, and how to get out.  But I was not invincible.  I was not indestructible.  And right now I was trapped.  The realization that nothing mattered hit me in the chest like a bag of rocks.  It didn't matter that I was the Princess of the Mountain Realm; I could throw that title around as much as I wanted, but it certainly wouldn't get me out of here.  I was nothing but a soft prisoner of war.  A captive.  

Now, even though I had my eyes open, I could see nothing, I could hear nothing, and I had nowhere to go.  I rolled over and felt my shoulder sting as grit was crushed into my open wound.  I grimaced and sat up slowly.  When I tried standing, my head collided with solid wood and I collapsed back onto the wooden floor.  Well, so much for the idea of walking around.  I stretched out both arms and found that whatever place I was in was only about as wide as my arm span, and only half as deep.  From my own sore head I concluded that it wasn't even as tall as me.  If this was all wood, I thought, then there had to be some sort of seam.  I felt along the walls until my fingers found a ridge in the long panel in front of me.  It was right in the middle and the ridge ran from top to bottom.  I pressed on it firmly and was greeted with a rattle and a flash of outer light at the bottom.  I gasped and fell back against the wall, rubbing my eyes.  My hands shook as I thought out the design of the place.  They were keeping me in an empty wardrobe.