Chapter Nine: Promise

DEDICATED TO: My mom who read this story I have yet to finish even if she was too sleepy.

That night, I had a dream, it was different, though. Very vague. I'm lucky I'm not senile that I could still remember that dream.

I was with my family. There was a dinner. There was a guy, my lover, I knew he was because we held hands. Up until of course, I woke up. The part that bemused me the most of course was that the guy wasn't Jeffrey. It was Reeve.

As I was driving, very agog to see Jeffrey again, I thought of Reeve and Sarah and Mike(I guess Matt is also my friend) . The friends I left for Jeffrey that day. But I was sure Sarah understood and even liked the idea of me having lunch with Jeffrey, or so I thought.

Why is it that it was Reeve I was holding hands with in my dream? Not Jeffrey? I have heard that when you dream about someone or something, it means you have been thinking about it before sleeping. I did think of Jeffrey. But not Reeve.

As I parked my car, I averted my gaze and saw Jeffrey get out of his car the same time I did. His car was far away so I figured I should wait for him. I turned my gaze again and saw Reeve. I brazenly raised my hand to wave at him but as I was about to, he looked away. I was pretty sure he was me. There was something grotesque about the way he looked at me.

Before I could even call his name out, I felt a hand around my shoulder.

"Hey Bookie." He whispered in my ear.

I faced him and said "Bookie?". I thought it was ludicrous.

"That's right. Let's go. Don't want you to be late." His whisper made me shiver. In a good way.

Jeffrey and I were together in the whole day. He would always be on the door right after each of my class.

That lunch break, Sarah saw me and gave me a look of disapproval.

***************************************

At home that night, she called me. She said something about not liking Jeffrey and about liking Reeve more. That was all I got since I was so drowsy.

At the end of our conversation, she said "Promise?".

Since I didn't know why she said 'promise' for, I said "Yeah."

The next day, I knew what the 'Promise' meant.

She asked me to spent the next day (this day) with them. Since she doesn't want me to be attached too much with Jeffrey.

"I'm sorry, I was too sleepy yesterday I didn't even understand what you were talking about!" I said, loud enough to outdo her voice.

"Whatever! You still promised!" She squealed.

"You know what? I'll ask Jeffrey first." I said, panting and finally giving up.

I walked toward Jeffrey who is standing near the post and waiting for me. Of course, I asked him to because Sarah wanted to talk to me.

"Everything okay?" he asked, fleetly.

"Yeah. Listen, Sarah wants me to spend the day with them. I mean, I don't have a choice. I kind of promised yesterday when we were on the phone." I said, very horrified to look at him. I've never seen him angry before and I know ditching him is not gonna make him angry but not happy either. Maybe just unhappy.

I finally did and he was just smiling.

"What?" I asked serenely.

"Of course you can. You don't need my approval. I know I am taking you away from them and I'm sorry." He said.

I was afraid to tread him or anything so I said, "What do you mean? I want to be with you. Spend my whole day with you. You didn't steal me away from anyone.", but I really meant it.

He smiled again. I suddenly felt like I was in a haven. And he was my haven. My place of safety.

Of course, Sarah took me away the second Jeffrey and I removed our hands from being entwined.

********************************

At lunch break, the four of us were chatting with each other. Me and Sarah were talking about our assignment on Biology. Reeve and Matt were talking about something I can't decipher.

"Emily, can I speak to you for a moment?" Reeve suddenly stood up, looking and sounding very smug. Like the first time we met.

I stood up along with a "Sure."

I followed him as he lead the way to the staircase I have never even seen.

When he finally stopped, meaning we've reached our destination. I asked what he wanted to tell me.

He averted his gaze to me and said "Why the hell are you hanging out with that dude?" He asked, eyes gazing intently on me. His gaze was vile, very unsimilar to the Reeve I know.

I knew right away he was talking about Jeffrey.

"Jeffrey--" I said sharply, trying to tell him that 'that dude's' name is Jeffrey. "---is my friend." I continued.

"I.Don't.Care" He said, pausing with each word. Very uncouth.

And then I was in his arms. His right hand holding my waist eloquently and his left on my right cheek. We stayed like that, stagnant for a while. Then I tried to get away from his warm but ominous presence. But I couldn't move. He was too strong. I finally tried again with all my might and then.....He kissed me.