Chapter Five: The Accident

What I mean is in my dream, I was the blonde woman. I didn't catch the name of the guys and woman, let's just say me.

But I didn't find anything common between us. She's a blonde and I'm a brunette. The dream was confusing. It's like, one minute I'm with the first guy and then seconds later, I'm with the other guy. But nobody knew how I was killed. Or at least they thought I was. I killed myself for not being able to bear the pain that I felt and what I was giving those guys.

I brushed by hair as I kept thinking about that dream. It wasn't a good ending but it was magical or mystical, whatever.

When I got to school, I figured Sarah liked me even more. She asked me if I enjoyed it and about Reeve. And after her question and answer game, I asked her why she suddenly looked blank and walked out on me.

"What?" She asked, gaping at me.

"You know, last Friday." I asked. How could she not remember?

"Whatever, let's just get lunch first, Kay?" She said.

I wasn't that hungry, I bought chips and milk. Sarah seemed to have improved her appetite. She bought fries, apple, chips, chocolate, and something more. She shared it with me, though.

Reeve and Matt sat down with us in our table. After lunch, it was health. And since Reeve and I have that class together, he asked me if maybe we could walk together. "Sure." I replied.

I wanted to sit with Jeffrey but I had no choice. Reeve asked if I want to sit with him and I couldn't say no. Jeffrey was sitting alone until a girl sat beside him. She sat on my chair.

"Hey Reeve?" I asked, my eyes still on Jeffrey's back.

"Yeah?" He said.

"Who's that?" I asked, jerking my head on their direction.

"Her name's Kathleen." He said.

"Why?" He asked, eyeing me suspiciously.

"Just curious. Never seen her before." I said, making up and excuse. But I have seen her before. She's very pretty and smart but she's a very silent type.

"Never actually knew that she and that dude know each other." He said.

"Jeffrey." I said, too fast that he was surprised.

I guess I just couldn't stand the way he addressed Jeffrey as 'that dude'.

Reeve's in his nerdy look again, by the way. I cant focus on the lesson. Jeffrey and Kathleen are talking to each other! I can't concentrate.!

*******************************************

As the days passed by, Jeffrey and I never talked to each other anymore, didn't sat with each other or looked at each other. I saw him sometimes and just look at him but doesn't at me. I wonder what was wrong.

Wednesday, Reeve was not present. I knew I was gonna be alone on our table in health class. I swallowed my pride and sat beside Jeffrey. Him and Kathleen have been pretty close after that whole sitting-arrangment thing.

As I sat down, Jeffrey eyed me suspiciously, like saying 'Kathleen's going to sit there. So scram!' but he didn't. He just looked at me for a second and stood like that. I didn't talk first. Then I did.

"Is anything wrong?" I asked, facing him.

He nodded 'no'.

"But you're treating me like the air." I said.

"Just...." He said. I waited for a moment and I knew he was never going to continue his sentence so I said "Is it because I didn't take your advice? About the whole don't-go-to-the-date-thing?" I said.

"Just tell me." I said, feeling hopeless.

Kathleen came and she was smiling but it faded away when she saw me on her seat. So she sat on my seat. The one where Reeve and I always sat.

Jeffrey didn't say anything and his next move made me feel like I was being petrified.

He stood up, took his books and notebooks and sat beside Kathleen.

I was so abashed that I stood up too and walked away. I skipped school. I just ran and ran until I reached my car and drove away.

I have been hurt a lot of times before but why did Jeffrey's act towards me hurt me so much?

I felt tears streaming down my face. I wiped it away. I couldn't see the road clearly. And then it happened.

Being in an accident is too quick that you won't even feel anything. I could only just describe what it felt.

I thought I saw something crawl right in front of me on the road so I tried swerving right to avoid endangering the thing that crawled. I knew it was some sort of a----cat? Then I lose control and hit on a tree. That was the first time I didn't put my seatbelt on and fortunately, it was also the time I needed it. Great. I felt a very loud ringing in my ears and my head hit something and I smelled blood oozing out.

********************

The doctor asked me if I would want to stay in the hospital for another three days. No way. So I said maybe instead of the hospital, I could just stay at home. They agreed.

Sarah, along with Matt and Reeve visited me. They all asked what happened and if I was okay. I said 'I'm fine' a couple of time before I finally convinced them that I am. Reeve was very worried which proved that he really was a friend of mine and he cared about me. Meanwhile, my parents, especially my mom was furious with me.

"So..you were in an accident on your car, whereas you should be in school, is that right?" She asked.

"Right." I said, weakly.

"So that means you skipped school, is that right?" She asked.

"Right." I answered.

"And why did you do that?" She asked.

My dad must've noticed I was too tired to tell the story so she pulled my mom out of my bedroom.

******************

"Emily?" My dad peeked in my door. I was reading a book. I have woken up 35 minutes ago, anyway.

"What's up, Dad?" I said.

"Someone's here for you." He said.

"Is it Sarah..again?" I asked.

"Ummm..no." He answered.

"Whatever. Just umm--tell them to come in." I said as placed the book beside me in the top of the cabinet. It was too far so it slipped and-----"Careful." A voice said, the book in his hands.

It was him.