☽ Saw the Darkest Hearts of Men ☾

The Town

"Kimizuki-san I can-!" Shinoa tried to warn me, but she was slammed backwards by the demon on Mirai's back. I cursed as it slammed into Mitsuba again, knocking her somewhere to the left of where it sent Shinoa. I curse, more determined to defeat that thing quickly. I could see her intently watching Yoichi as he moved across the rooftops. I knew what she was going to do, but I knew I wouldn't get there in time. 

The demon made to hit Yoichi, and I closed my eyes, I did not want to see what happened. However, when I opened them again, a petite pink-haired lady was using one arm to stop it's motion. My brows furrowed in confusion and thankfulness until I remembered who she was. Krul Tepes, the vampire queen.

"Why are you here?" I shout, drawing her attention. She merely smirks, spinning around to roundhouse kick the appendage away from Yoichi. She joins me on the ground, and only when she gets close enough does she answer.

"I believe it is called reincarnation among your circles, human." She says, sounding extremely irritated. 

"Oh, is that it? I guess that would be correct." I return, moving to hit one of it'a appendages away from her. She laughs at my motion, and I turn around to glare at her.

"You didn't need to do that, but you did. Humans never cease to stop amazing me." She says before taking off again, this time clawing across the surface of the demon, leaving large gashes. Once she lands next to me, she inclines her head. "I must say, I never thought I'd be facing the 5th Trumpet, Abaddon, demon of destruction."

"Is that what that's called?" I ask, glancing toward Mirai and that thing. She nods, not taking her eyes off of it. We enter a staring competition, the demon, Krul Tepes and I. I want to laugh at how ridiculous this all is, but I can't. This is my life, and I need to play the cards fate has handed me. And I intend to play them the best way possible. I turn to Krul.

"I have plan." She smirks, flipping her hair over her shoulder. 

"Oh, do tell."

The City

I walked with Yuu in my arms for a few minutes until we were outside of the salt circle. It was probably about a few dozens of blocks away from Ground Zero, but it was enough. Yuu didn't need to see what he had done. It would haunt him for the rest of this life. I hated what that Seraph had done using his Yuu. It wasn't fair to him, and it certainly wasn't fair to the people who had died. Most of them had probably been innocents.

I shifted my position as I watched the sun set, and wondered if Yuu wasn't the only one from those days that had survived. A few minutes later, sirens sounded in the distance. I grimaced, knowing it was futile. The ambulances couldn't really save anyone, there wasn't anyone to save. Unless by some miracle they had survived, but the probability was very low. The Seraphs were diligent and focused. Not many humans could escape from their lazer focus. 

At some point, an ambulance went straight past the building I was situated in. I didn't even bat an eye. Yuu didn't need them, all he needed was me right now. I would protect him no matter the cost. I knew that for sure, after years of living without him, I needed him. I needed him like humans needed air. 

I scrunched my face up, desperate to keep that thought away. I knew I needed him, but I wasn't some dragon locking the princess up in a tower because they just 'needed' them. No, I needed him because I loved him. All I wanted was to be near him, to listen to his shallow breathing as he slept, his heartbeat thrumming steadily and quietly. His heartbeat was my lullaby, and before long I was drifting off off to sleep to the sound of his soothing heartbeat.