On Ashes and Smoke

"What do you mean?" I replied, taking his hand again- wincing once, but ignoring the slow burn that emanated from his hand. He gently untangled his fingers from mine, returning my hand.

"You shouldn't." He warned. "You could hurt yourself."

The look he had me fixed with made me think he didn't want me to let go.

"Out of the way, girlie," one fireman called, pushing me to the side as they brought a respirator over to Leo. "He's been inhaling smoke for who knows how long." He informed me.

Leo swatted them away.

"I'm fine." He insisted, letting out an exhausted sigh. "Check my breathing, whatever, but I'm fine." He decided, brushing soot off his arm.

I jumped up to sit beside him on the gurney, swinging my legs over the edge.

"You started that fire, didn't you, Leo?" I asked under my breath, sending a cursory glance over to the dark haired boy.

"Not now, Jordan." He hissed. One of the paramedics lifted a respirator to him again, and he let out an exasperated noise and took it, breathing obnoxiously through the plastic mask. "Happy?" He demanded, glaring at the paramedic- a slim girl with thin brown hair. She shrugged and took the mask back, wheeling it somewhere else.

"All your vitals are fine," a firefighter announced to Leo, who nodded- because he already knew that. "You're not in any pain? No burns?" He asked. Leo shook his head. "Nothing." The firefighter sighed. "You're a lucky kid." He decided.

"I guess so." Leo muttered.

"Can you bring the respirator over here?" One of the nurses asked. "This patient's having trouble breathing."

I glanced over to catch a glimpse of a girl covered in soot, coughing up a storm. Her blonde hair had a reddish gold tint to it, and her blue green eyes were clouded by exhaustion.

"Leo," I spoke up. "I'd like to know what's going on." I decided.

"Not now." He repeated, avoiding the subject.

My eyes searched for the third missing child- finding Rachel's bright green eyes easily. Her fiery hair was matted, and darkened by soot and smoke.

She glanced between Leo and I for a moment, then looked over to the other patient- Kyria, wasn't it?- as if expecting me to do something. While searching her gaze for something more, she turned away from me to cough into her sweater, gratefully accepting the respirator someone offered.

"Leo, people are hurt." I reminded him.

"I know!" He shouted suddenly, his eyes squeezing shut. "It's my fault. I know it's my fault." He whispered. "It's always my fault." He breathed.

Looking him over, I remembered something.

New information.

Leo's mother had died in a fire. Sure, Leo was a pyromaniac, and I'm sure he relived the fire with every arson he committed, but now with the knowledge that his mother had died because she wouldn't let go of her son...

I'm sure Leo felt now more than ever that his mother's death was his fault.

"Why don't you tell me about this," I decided.

"What do you mean?" He asked, his eyebrows pulling together into a pleading expression- as if he was pleading with me to stop asking questions.

"I want to know why you are fine, and the two others that were trapped wherever you were are hurt." I explained.