Chapter 2

• Dedicated to The one who puts up with my nonsense 24/7

It’d been a few days since Gerard had gotten his tattoo. It had scabbed over and Gerard had been putting the lotion on everyday. Now the design was shiny and Gerard reckoned it was almost completely healed. Frank had said one week and it had been five days.

Gerard went into the kitchen and opened the cupboard. He was met with cans, containers and various coffee jars, but no cereal. They were out of cereal. Gerard sighed and closed the cupboard. He went down the hall and back into his room. He grabbed his jacket and phone, pocketing his keys.

“Mikey! I’m just going down to the shops to get some cereal!” he called, going back out into the hall. He paused for a moment, leaning against the wall, as he waited for a reply.

“Get some Captain Crunch!” Mikey called back. Gerard could hear distant clicking from the Xbox controller, meaning Mikey was playing Assassins Creed again. He hadn’t stopped since he got it, claiming he would “finish the game even if it killed him”, which technically it had. Quite a bit, actually. Mikey sucked at Assassins Creed.

Gerard smiled to himself and pushed off from the wall. He made his way out the front door and surveyed their street. Traffic and random people rushed past, carrying on with their everyday lives. Gerard closed the front door and ventured out onto the tree. Someone bumped into him and continued on, their phone pressed to their ear and no apology on their lips. Typical.

Gerard slid his jacket on and continued down the street, slipping his phone in his pocket. The local grocery store was only a few blocks away from Gerard and Mikey’s shared apartment. As he walked, Gerard surveyed his surroundings with interest. He watched the tired mother holding her child’s hand as they entered the park. He also noticed as an old lady struggled to push her husband’s wheelchair to their car, so he jogged forward.

“Can I help ma’am?” he asked kindly, reaching out a hand.

The old woman looked up at him and smiled in relief. “Thank you, dear,” he sighed, stepping aside. Gerard placed both hands on the top-bar and begun pushing the elderly man toward their car. “It’s getting quite hard to push him, nowadays. My wrists are getting too tired…”

“That’s quite alright. Happens to everyone,” Gerard smiled warmly.

“I’m sorry, Merry,” the man apologized. “I’m sorry about my damned legs.” He smacked his thigh with the heels of his hand with a sigh of frustration.

“It’s fine, James, how many times to I have to tell you,” Merry said fondly, patting his hand

 They arrived at the grey, rusted Ford Pinto and Gerard offered to open the car for them. The Merry thanked him again, handing over the keys. Gerard unlocked the car and wheeled James to the passenger side.

“Thank you again, dear,” Merry pressed, coming around to help Gerard carry her husband into the car. They placed him in the passenger side and the Merry buckled him in, placing a kiss on his forehead.

“No problems, ma’am,” Gerard insisted, saluting Merry and turning to walk away. “Just being helpful.”

Merry watched Gerard walk away from her car, smiling warmly at him. She waved at him when he was gone, laughing quietly to herself. Gerard wave back, feeling as though he’d done a good deed.

Two blocks later, Gerard was walking through the grocery store’s double doors. He headed straight for the cereal aisle. Shelves of varying cereal flavours greeted him at both sides. Gerard spotted Captain Crunch halfway down the aisle and set off at a brisk walk. He wanted to be home in time for the 12 o’clock cartoons.

Gerard grabbed the Captain Crunch and a box of Wheaties then nodded proudly to himself. He turned on his heel and promptly bumped into somebody. He stumbled back, dropping the box of Wheaties. “Oh Jesus, sorry!” Gerard said, leaning down to pick up the fallen box. When he straightened up, he took a first glance at the guy he’d rammed.