Chapter 5

Light filtered through the curtains of Frank’s apartment, causing a soft glow over Frank. Gerard stood by the doorway, his shirt missing. Frank made a soft noise and rolled over on the couch, his eyes opening slowly. He got his hand tangled in the wool blanket Gerard has thrown over him and frowned.

“Gerard?” he called quietly, sitting up and pulling his hand free.

Gerard walked over and sat beside Frank. “Morning,” he smiled. Frank clambered onto Gerard and snuggled close, pulling the blanket around himself. “You’re warm,” Gerard chuckled, wrapping his arms around Frank and leaning back against the couch. He pulled his legs up and rested his cheek on top of Frank’s head.

Frank shifted slightly and let out a long breath. “My hand hurts,” he said sadly.  Gerard kissed the top of his head. “But I don’t want to go get any Aspirin because that requires movement and I don’t think I’m ready for that yet.”

Gerard sighed and moved his gaze to the TV. “I’m sorry about that,” he apologized. “It wasn’t me.”

“I know that,” Frank said. “You’re you now and that’s all that matters.”

Gerard laughed softly. “I should probably get home and tell Mikey I’m ok before he has a stroke…”

Frank moved his head to the side and looked up at Gerard. “Probably. It’s been days. He hasn’t called the cops though…”

Gerard shook his head. “He’s sort of used to it,” he averted his eyes. “Well, I should probably go.” He slowly sat up and Frank moved off of him.

Frank rubbed his eyes with his good hand, the blanket still around his shoulders. “Did you want me to go with you?” he asked, blinking up at Gerard who was now standing.

“Nah, I’ll be fine,” Gerard grabbed his shirt from the floor and pulled it over his head. “You stay here and rest. I can get Mikey to let Ray know that you won’t be coming into work for a little bit.”

Frank frowned. “What’s our cover story? I mean, we can’t exactly tell them what actually happened…”

Gerard scratched his head and frowned. “I actually have no idea. I guess I’ll just tell Mikes I needed space to think. You can say you broke your fingers and needed time off but forgot to tell them.”

Frank nodded slowly. “Ok…. as long as it’s believable…” He reached up and pulled Gerard down for a light kiss. “Stay safe, ok? Don’t let any demons up in your custard.”

Gerard chuckled and ruffled Frank’s already messy hair. “Sure thing.”

*

When Gerard opened the door and walked into the hallway, he was suddenly surrounded by a hug that smelt of old books and wet paint. Mikey held on to Gerard tight, his fingers gripping the back of his brother’s shirt. Gerard mumbled out apologies and wrapped his arms around Mikey, closing his eyes. Mikey stepped back for a moment, his eyes darting over Gerard, checking for any signs of injury.