one ; new daddy

DARLENE | d ah r l ee n |

"so who is it this time? a doctor, bar tender or your intern again?" i roll my eyes as the news coming from my mother's mouth don't necessarily excite me one bit.

'so i met someone...', enough for me to know what's about to come, another man trying to marry my mom for the money, which i didn't really care about what it was for, but what annoyed me was how she knew what they were looking for, yet she ignored it. obviously because she was using them for the sex. always the same old story of a "rich" thirty-year-old meeting horny man, slightly - and by slightly i mean a lot actually - younger than her. a basic gold digger. i don't mind whatever happens with the money she has, i don't even know where she has gotten it from, but i do mind how she acts like a bee, jumping from flower to flower, reckless and free, thinking she is back in her 20s. new's flash, honey: you are a thirty-year-old single mother acting immature around men.

"darlene, how dare you ask that? a lady never tells where she got her man from," she scoffs and i roll my eyes, still annoyed by what i thought would be 'good news', "friends of friends." she shrugs and it becomes my turn to scoff.

'friends of friends' i've heard that version before and it ended up being my math teacher, but i've learnt to face it; my mom is promiscuous. no matter how many years it has been since my father died, i will never learn to understand my mom. we are two different human beings in some ways, like she is your typical rich woman, working as the boss of a very important business - or so she says - and buying useless and expensive things, while i'm just your normal seventeen-year-old trying to make it through high school while i try not to worry about who becomes my "new daddy", even though working at the lolita bar maybe doesn't make me as normal.

"and when's he coming by and meeting me?" i ask, leaning back on the couch with my arms bent over my chest and a glare directed to my mom sitting across from me, on the armchair.

"tonight, he is staying for dinner and to sleep."

"i doubt you two will get any sleep," i mutter impossible for her to hear, although, i'd love to really tell her my opinion on all this and how ridiculous it is, knowing the man is probably closer to my own age than my mom's.

"what'd you say, sweetheart?"

"that after dinner i'm seeing kate," i tell her a straight up lie, because 1) whoever comes to eat dinner tonight with us, will end up in my mom's king sized bed and i don't feel like hearing them, and 2) thurdays, saturdays and sundays are nights at the bar. "anyways, how old is that man and what's his name? if he's gonna become my new daddy until you find someone else then it's maybe helpful that i get to know a few facts before the big moment."

"his name is luke and he is twenty-four," my eyes automatically roll by just hearing her words, "tall, blonde, blue-eyed, a gentleman, he is just perfect for me." except he is twenty-four and you are thirty-three, i think to myself, trying not to say it out loud.

"isn't that what you said about the last one?" i cock my eyebrows and she shakes her head, like it was something obvious, but honestly every single men is the same.

"tobias was an ass," she barks annoyed by the last gold digger. in three months she'll be saying this about luke. "wear nice clothes, no sweatpants."

i groan one last time before getting up from the couch and i walk upstairs to my room, instantly falling on my bed. i don't mind a new man, i honestly don't, because i'll just ignore him, but i'm tired of my mom's sick little games.