Chapter 6

Chapter 6

(Anna’s P.O.V)

            By the time I had gotten out of the hospital, it was almost 4 o’clock. I was so scared. I knew that going back wasn’t an option, he would probably actually kill me this time. But running away, having an escape, just seemed too good to be true. We had just gotten into his car when a thought struck me. My mother’s music box was still at the house.

            “Leon,” I said urgently, “I need to go back.” He looked at me like I had grown two heads.

            “Anna, are you insane?” he hissed. “He almost killed you.” I gave him a look.

            “Not go back permanently, of course. I…need to get some things.” I stated vaguely. Leon brooded for a moment.

            “But won’t he be home already? Won’t he see you?”

            “I’m not just going to walk right in the front door, I’m not stupid.”

            “Then how—”

            “You’ll see.” I said, smiling to myself.

*******************

(Leon’s P.O.V)

            I watched her as she headed for the gate and disappeared. Suddenly, she pooped up on the other side of the house, climbing on a ladder to get to the top of a shed close to the roof of the house. Stepping on the roof, she almost lost her balance for a moment, and then righted herself. I sat, tense, with my hand on the door handle just waiting for her to fall. She didn’t. She reached a window on the front of the house, and it struck me for a moment how visible she was. That didn’t help the nerves at all.

(Anna’s P.O.V)

            As I reached my window, I carefully peeled back the screen. I always left the corner slightly ajar so I could get in and out if I ever needed to. I pulled back my window that was closed, but never latched, and hopped carefully through it to land on my bed. I grabbed a bag, most of my clothes (I didn’t have many), and the music box. I carefully placed the box in the bag and padded it with my clothes.

            I was just putting the strap around my shoulder when I heard the door slam downstairs. I nearly jumped out of my skin. I quickly and rather clumsily climbed out the window, which was harder considering the cast on my left arm, shut it and replaced the screen. And then I got the hell out. When I finally reached the street, I sprinted toward his car, careful not to jostle the bag. I jumped in a slammed the door.

            “Drive.” I said breathlessly but urgently, still paranoid that my dad was following me. And drive he did. As we drove, my stomach clenched with nerves. I clutched my bag closer to me. How I wished my mother was with me. But this was all I had left of her now other than my memories.

~Flashback~

     The first thing I remember was the smoke, billowing thick into the air. I was confused, frightened, unsure. I remember the big yellow fire trucks, police cars, ambulances. Everything seemed to be moving so fast as I just stood there and watched my home burn. And then I saw the gurney. With my mother strapped to it, heading toward an ambulance. Time seemed to freeze then. I ran toward her, but I couldn’t seem to move fast enough. Finally I reached the ambulance where a worker told me I could ride with her.